Roland fp7f MIDI in.

Reaction score
Thanks for allowing me to join the forum, I'm a 'mature' keyboard player still working and custodian of a Hammond B3 with Leslie 122rv. I gig with a Hammond XK3 through a Neo Vent 2 and I've just bought a used Roland fp7f piano to use as the 'lower keyboard'. I'm generally very happy with the keyboard action and sounds but I'm beginning to think that I cannot MIDI-In a bass pedal board to play the bass sounds in 'split mode'. Each time I do I get the 'main' sound across the whole keyboard even though the keyboard is in split-mode and there is an upright bass sound below the split. Does anyone have any information or experience on this topic?

Reaction score
I owned an XM2 which was an XK1 in a rack. Architecture is similiar. You are correct, you can't. See page 86 of the manual.

MASTER
2. MIDI IN
This is for setting the behavior if the two MIDI IN terminals.
UPPER / PEDAL:
Each MIDI IN terminal acts as a receiving terminal for the LOWER and PEDAL Parts, regard-
less of the channel.
This assigns the Manual Bass Function to the MIDI IN (LOWER) terminal.
The Split function will be disabled (Disregards the [SPLIT] Button).

The input from each MIDI IN terminal will be resent by each Keyboard Channel of 11 and 12.

So you can use the lower keyboard and pedals but not split the upper keyboard and apply pedals, it disengages the split point when you connect the pedals, i.e. it treats the pedals like the lower manual and therefore disengages the split point even if you're oin split mode. This is why you hear the upper manual across the entire keyboard in split mode.
So you need to attach the 2nd keyboard if you want to use pedals. You could try the lower to pedal function where the lowest note in your left hand gets assigned to the pedals.

Reaction score
Hi D, thanks for your reply but, on re-reading my posting, I may have caused some confusion in the way I have written it. I am trying to get the Roland fp7f to receive MIDI in signals to play in 'split' mode i.e. String Bass (via my pedalboard) below the split point and Piano/Organ/strings above the split point. The XK3 is physically just the upper keyboard in the rig. The fp7f has a very usable 'Hammond lower keyboard' sound.

Ask a Question