Roland JUNO DS-61: Multiple notes being played sometimes when hitting just one note

Reaction score
I've had this synth 2 years now.
Bought brand new from Sweetwater.
Sent it in for repair once.
They said they couldn't find anything wrong with it.
Still having the issue.
Using version 2.11 firmware, so it's up to date.
Did a system reset.
Nothing plugged into it. No MIDI cable. Just an external 1/4" going out to my Roland keyboard amp.
It does this on every sound patch.

#roland
#rolandjuno
#rolandjunods

Video of what is going on below.....any good suggestions?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
2 Questions.

Are your FX turned off and what happens if you wiggle the joystick?

Also did you restore from backup when you did the reset?

The most likely cause of tuning faults is the joystick.

Try disabling the joystick in the settings.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
i know that you did a hard reset but i would try a reload of the operating system, there may be a corrupted file; always eliminate the software as being an issue before assuming hardware is the issue.

Reaction score
i know that you did a hard reset but i would try a reload of the operating system, there may be a corrupted file; always eliminate the software as being an issue before assuming hardware is the issue.

I didn’t assume hardware is the issue….never said that. So how does one reload the OS? I thought the system restore was the only option I had.

Reaction score
2 Questions.

Are your FX turned off and what happens if you wiggle the joystick?

Also did you restore from backup when you did the reset?

The most likely cause of tuning faults is the joystick.

Try disabling the joystick in the settings.

Gary ;)
Yes, FX turned off.
Tried the first and last file restores shown in pic.

Joystick doesn’t have anything to do with it.

Did you watch the video?

Attachments

• 114D118D-6C6E-4752-84D8-9E544EAF85C7.jpeg
    114D118D-6C6E-4752-84D8-9E544EAF85C7.jpeg
    80.7 KB · Views: 6

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The joystick controls both pitch and modulation.

Suit yourself.

Chase phantoms while ignoring diagnostic advice,

They go bad more often than you think.

Reaction score
The joystick controls both pitch and modulation.

Suit yourself.

Chase phantoms while ignoring diagnostic advice,

They go bad more often than you think.
I know what the joystick controls.
Let me rephrase....moving the joystick does not increase or resolve the issue. It simply works as it should. It does not affect the issue.
And I stated FX were not on. I also showed a pic of the files I selected. Video was pretty clear in both video and audio detailing the issue.
Also, new instrument cable and tried different inputs on Roland keyboard amp. Same issue.

Reaction score
I didn’t assume hardware is the issue….never said that. So how does one reload the OS? I thought the system restore was the only option I had.
Try to perform the OS upgrade procedure to see if it allows you to reinstall the same current system software. That said: this problem happens with ANY patch or just width that specific patch ? If the problem were present in just some keys or a small range of keys I would say you have some problem with the keybed, specially if the problem affects any patch selected, but the fact that the problem present itself in ALL keys make me think about some logic-board failure....When you sent it for repair (and they say nothing was wrong) did this problem existed already ?? If so, I don't see how they could say that "nothing was wrong" !!

Reaction score
Try to perform the OS upgrade procedure to see if it allows you to reinstall the same current system software. That said: this problem happens with ANY patch or just width that specific patch ? If the problem were present in just some keys or a small range of keys I would say you have some problem with the keybed, specially if the problem affects any patch selected, but the fact that the problem present itself in ALL keys make me think about some logic-board failure....When you sent it for repair (and they say nothing was wrong) did this problem existed already ?? If so, I don't see how they could say that "nothing was wrong" !!
Thanks for the reply. It happens with every patch in every sound bank. I reached out again to Sweetwater and another tech said the previous guy who told me "nothing was wrong" no longer works there, so he is encouraging me to send it in at my own shipping cost (since my 2 year warranty is up). He said logic board as well. Thanks again for your response!

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. It happens with every patch in every sound bank. I reached out again to Sweetwater and another tech said the previous guy who told me "nothing was wrong" no longer works there, so he is encouraging me to send it in at my own shipping cost (since my 2 year warranty is up). He said logic board as well. Thanks again for your response!
If you have some probe that this problem existed the first time you sent it for repair, you may be able to claim your warranty. Hope you can get it fixed asap. JunoDS is such an amazing keyboard. Mine has 3 years and has been working without a glitch so far.

Ask a Question