Roland XP80 - help needed!!

Reaction score
Hi!!

I'm hoping someone out there can help me!!

I've just bought a Roland XP80 Keyboard (to replace my much loved JV2080, which has now sadly died!), but I am having problems doing the things I need to, when I link it to a 2nd keyboard.

When I create a "performance", I like to have different sounds on each keyboard. For instance, on the XP80 I might have a split with strings on the top half, and brass on the bottom half. On the keyboard which is midi linked to the XP80 - (which is a Technics P30) - I might like to have piano on the top half, bass on the bottom half.

And here is the problem, even though the keyboard range is split, the sounds coming out of the P30 are mixed - ie the whole range of the keyboard is playing piano and bass at the same time. I seem to have all the settings set correctly - ie local switch "off" so I don't hear the brass and strings which have been set to play only on the XP80; the Rx switch on; midi for both sounds set to channel 1.

So why won't my P30 recognise the splits which have been specially created in the "keyboard range" window???!! It is clearly recognising the patches themselves, as the sounds are playing, but just both mixed, and not split...

I never had this problem with my JV2080 - I could do as many splits and different sounds on as many different keyboards as I wanted (I linked them all up to my JV2080 via a midi-merge box), and set each keyboard on a different midi channel - and it all worked beautifully!!!

As the XP80 is basically the 2080, but in keyboard form, how come I can't do this???

I would love someone to help me, and solve this problem!!! Thanks!!!
Tansy
:)

Reaction score
Yes I have! But it still won't play them!! The XP80 itself is reading the splits fine, but when I play the P30, even though the splits are clearly there in the XP80's keyboard range window, and the keyboard range is "on", and the sounds themselves are playing fine - the P30 still won't recognise the splits....! It is so odd!!!

There is probably some really obvious solution, but for the life of me, I can't find it...! :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Sounds odd... I can't think what could be causing it at the moment. My only advice for the moment would be to check and re-check every midi setting on both devices, just in case you've missed anything.

Reaction score
Thanks! I will do - I'm sure I must be able to get to the bottom of it some how! :confused:

Ask a Question