Run MIDI/keys controller through regular keyboard?

Reaction score
Hi all I'm David, happy to find you folks here. I love keyboards and just back into them.
I have Yamaha EZ300 (usb MIDI) and Radio Shack MD-1210 (in/out MIDI). I love knob controls on synths such as filter/sat for resonance, depth, and wheel/stick controls.
For now I'm avoiding DAW. Wondering if I can run MIDI/keyboard controller through a regular keyboard, or vice versa?
I hope to play my keyboards with the extra control knobs/wheels. Sound would come through keyboard speakers instead of modules or DAW. Then just record from regular out-jack on keyboards to multitrack. Possible?
I'm looking at Donner DMK25, Donner B1 Bass Synth and AKAI MPK Mini PLAY MK3 (mk3 built-in sounds/speaker). I'm wondering how... out from controllers and in to keyboards? Or backwards :D I want MIDI controller to have control so I can play on it, such as Akai MK3 and manipulate the sound of my regular keyboards.
Other way I think would be out from keyboard and in to the MIDI/keys controller. Which would require I hook up sound/speakers to MIDI/keys controller to hear it and record.
Hope I didn't make this confusing, trying to write it out simple. Basically I want add-ons to my keyboards so I can manipulate the sounds more, using MIDI devices. I greatly appreciate any advice or tips on this :)

Attachments

• 665952_0-1554196249.jpg
    665952_0-1554196249.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 7
  • pPhXJQyLt8Gz8g3i2jg4R-970-80-3346106889.jpg
    pPhXJQyLt8Gz8g3i2jg4R-970-80-3346106889.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 5
  • th-14611597.jpg
    th-14611597.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
Just a little elaboration since I have more time... The controller does not process sound at all. It just sends MIDI commands (in this case, to your other keyboard). If the keyboard you're connecting it to does not have, for example, filter/resonance controls/parameters (with a MIDI implementation designed to allow you to manipulate those things externally), you can't solve that limitation by essentially just attaching knobs (i.e. the controller).

Also, those controllers are USB, they cannot connect directly to a keyboards (with a a few high end exceptions), they have to be attached via an intermediate host (typically a computer). There are more variables here, but I don't want to get too far into the weeds for the purpose of this scenario.

I know you want to avoid a DAW, but even on a computer, you don't need a DAW per se to be able to use your existing keyboard to play sounds that are resident in the computer (or iPhone/iPad), so that may be something to look into. Either that, or look into a different keyboard, that has the kinds of controls you want.

Reaction score
I know the Yamaha MFC10 MIDI controller will work with some of there keyboards, but those are in de high end series I think. ( For sure the PSR 9000 Tyros series and PSR SX series...) But is used for presets and other stuff that can be operated by foot...

Ask a Question