Samson Graphite and Ableton and emu pci 0404

Reaction score
Hello i have problems with my midi keyboard graphite 49 and ableton
If i try a standalone synth it will play perfect, but if i try to connect with my ableton it won´t
my soundcard is a emu pci 0404
i have connect it with USB
ableton reconize graphite 49 in midi in and out but isn´t in the control surface list

hope anybody can help

Best regards

Reaction score
Kole

Ableton Live's OPTIONS > PREFERENCES > MIDI SYNC > INPUT and OUTPUT fields list what devices Live has actually "detected" as being connected to your computer, but the CONTROL SURFACE field just lists the predefined scripts that Abelton has provided for various controllers. There is no automatic "detection" here. If your controller is not on that list, then no predefined script has been provided and you will need to create your own. See Live's HELP files for creating your own "manual control surface map". Before doing that, you may want to check the Ableton forum to see if anyone has already created one:

https://forum.ableton.com/

The following article leads to a second article by the same author where he explains how to go the other way around. The Graphite 49 is Mackie Control compatible, which is one of the surfaces predefined in Live. So, he explains how to create a template on the Graphite 49 itself to make it compatible with Live. I take it that it makes the Graphite 49 "look" like a Mackie Control surface to Live. This might be easier than creating a new Live script, or may be a quick work-around until you can come up with an actual Live script.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Ex...SB-Keyboard-DAW-Control-Surface/ba-p/34631436

Scroll about half way down the page to the section entitled "Preset Mode: Daw Control"

Best of luck !

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hello Ted,

Thank for the inquiry,

I have done all what they say above here but it haven't worked, only option left is write a script control surface map but i can´t write a script control surface myself
I have a program called Samson Graphite 49 Editor Software but that also don´t reconize my graphite 49 keyboard(strange) it's a program were you can map you keyboard specially made for the graphite 49
also you have firmware on the official website from Samson but there is only a BIN file and no cue file so i can't burn it to CD/DVD also strange
I can't find also a written control surface file
on standalone vst it worked well
ScreenShot039.jpg

http://www.samsontech.com/support/samson/products/graphite49/ here you can see the firmware that is a BIN file

Last edited:
Reaction score
Kole

Sorry the "Mackie" info could not help you ! You might want to post your request over on the Ableton Forum to see if someone there can assist you:

https://forum.ableton.com/

When I checked the Ableton "Help" site, it looked like a lot of folks are having problems similar to what you are having, even with the scripts provided by Ableton. So, apparently there is a "knack" to getting them to work.

Again - Good luck !

Reaction score
In the photo above (I know this is three years old, but people may be (as I did) ending up here when they have Graphite 49 problems) you have not selected a Control Surface. You should select Mackie (there are two, Classic and Legacy). Then you should have no problems - especially if you select Preset 5 "Ableton" on your Graphite.

At the very worst, you can go to Samson to download the updated Firmware for the Graphite - if you don't have an Ableton Preset.

(in addition, if your Graphite 49 is connected via USB, you should see two or three control surfaces - this screen shot only shows one... )

Reaction score
Don't know whether there are still people out there who wonder how to get the issue fixed, but I just had the same problem and tried what Picky-Picasso mentioned:

It really is the solution to not only activate "Track" and "Remote" under the "MIDI Ports List", but also choose "MackieControl" at the "MIDI" section above that. Then Choose "Samson Graphite 49 (Controller" as both "input" and "output", and now you should be ready to go.

Now my keys work perfectly fine in order to play the instruments (that was the thing that was already working before), and also the controller knobs work now. So that issue is fixed.

However it took me some time to figure it out, as I thought the preset in the Samson Graphite 49 would already be enough to get Ableton working. But in fact the problem was that it is not automatically recognized by Ableton, and you need to give Ableton the "MackieControl" surface so that it understands how to deal witht he inputs of the SAMSON.

Of course, activate the Ableton preset on your SAMSON keyboard by
pressing preset -> choosing preset 5: Ableton -> pressing ENTER.

Have fun!

Reaction score
I know this post is old but I found it trying to find the answers my self , and I have it !.
In midi sync , set control surface as Mackie control , for input pick Graphite port 5 then for output Graphite port 2 . After scroll down to midi ports and turn on Track and Remote for all the Graphite Ports 2,3,4,and thats it . Hope this helps as this thread helped me up to the Mackie Control then the rest I played with until I got it.

Ask a Question