Selection help required for purchasing keyboard

Reaction score
I have a Yamaha PSR E313 which was lying unused for quite sometime but started practising continuously in the last two years.

But now it has a couple of issues ------- , and I want to get a new one.

I am interested in pop and rock music and hence not really looking for a keyboard with weighted keys but would like one with 76 keys.

I have narrowed down to two choices: both of which are available at a good price at Costco Canada:

1) Yamaha PSR EW310
2) Korn B2N

The KorgB2N is about 20% more expensive.

I looked on the internet for comparison between the two but did not find anything meaningful. Hence

I am asking for your advice/ suggestions on these two keyboards: what each is best for, niche features, quality, etc.

Thanks

Reaction score
The Korg B2N is a digital piano with 88 keys, the action is what they call a light touch, but I found it lacking in feel, so do try before you buy and if you do please listen carefully to the quality of the piano sounds, compare them to what is available on other keyboards even if they have 88 keys. What I found was Korg piano sounds come way behind those of Yamaha and Roland, yes it is subjective, but do compare. It also has a very limited sound palette of only 12 instruments.

The Yamaha is more like a 76 key version of your 313 but it still is a beginners board there is the 410 at $600 CN which would be a better choice at this price point.

The only other keyboard with 76 keys that I would suggest you consider if you feel like pushing the boat out and getting something far superior to the Yamaha would a
be a Roland Juno DS 76 @ $1400 but you may well find a pre owned unit on Craig’s list or eBay or even at a Music Store.

Reaction score
Thank you very much for such a detailed response and that too so quickly.

You have presented me with a good overall view of the non-weighted 76 keys keyboard in my price range.

I was unsure of Korg B2N because all searches for it led to B2 and so it was suspect.

I will look certainly look for EW410 per your advice which I had kept aside only because of the higher price tag and non-availability at Costco.

When I looked for Roland Juno DS76, it is called a synthesizer and I am not familiar with it. I think it has additional functionalities for creating your own music. Also the much higher price tag !!!

And what do you you think of Casio WK6600?

Last edited:
Reaction score
The WK6600 is an old design, Casio has been updating to their AIX sound for a couple of years now, a serious downside to this keyboard which is due to its age and market segment is its very low polyphony. My one first into Casio ownership did not go well with a flaky OS that would not save user data reliably so I cannot go into detail on the brand.

Your present Yamaha is a class of keyboard called an Arranger, its prime market is the home hobbyist who wants to learn and a quick way is to play chords left handed with melody played right handed and with auto accompaniment. 76 key versions of these instruments are limited in numbers with them all being quoted in this thread except for the mega bucks models by Korg and Yamaha. Your E series is in the entry level group with Yamaha’s S and newer SX series being for the more intermediate and advanced player but these only have 61 keys.

Conversely a workstation/synth is more versatile in many ways yet they do not have the style play mode via auto accompaniment included within them. They do have a massive sound palette and hence are more capable of specific sound profiles being created by layering instruments in a greater depth and complexity than is possible on an Arranger.

I know you have said you do not want hammer action but if piano centric play is what you are seeking then hammer action keys are the way to go or at the very least a keyboard with semi weighted keys. So I suggest you take a look at a Yamaha DGX670, Korg XE20 and a Casio PX S 3100 as these have auto accompaniment features build in.

Reaction score
I have learnt a few things from your responses. I am generally self taught as to what I have learnt about music. So thanks for the information. I will try Yamaha DGX670, Korg XE20 and a Casio PX S 3100 depending on what I can get my hands on and make a decision on my purchase.

Have a good new year.

Ask a Question