So .... are you a "single fingered" or a "fingered" player ?

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm a novice player and I was wondering if all you experienced folks out there play fingered chords with your left hand or do any of you just use the one finger perchance ?

The tutor books I've looked at seem to suggest that it's better to do fingered chords right from the beginning.

But:

Is there actually any difference in the sound ??

Does it matter which you do REALLY ????

Would appreciate your thoughts and experiences on this matter which is of great importance to me at the mo - 'cos I'm strugglin' with fingered chords !!!!

Thanks
Bertie:)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I tend to "cheat" a bit. I use a computer sequencer to lay down multiple tracks of counterpoint rhythms one at a time. My right hand moves pretty quickly but I still have mobility issues with coordinating my left at the same time. I'm still working on improving my style but I'll be the first to admit that I don't have nearly enough time to practice as much as I should ;)

Gary

The Y_man

Reaction score
If the keyboard supports one finger Chording - then there is no difference on that keyboard BUUUUT different manufacturers have different "one fingering" methods - eg getting a minor chord in "one finger mode" (which actually requires 2 fingers) on a Casio is different from Yamaha. So if you are suddenly asked to play another brand form the one you are used to, you could be in a situation. Full fingered will work anywhere.

I learned one finger on a Casio, before going to a Yamaha. Rather than relearn the Yamaha one finger method, I thought I might as well get myself to go full fingered. It also helps if you play multi-fingered right hand too of course, because you'll know the structure of the chords.

Take it easy - start on the "white key" chords - C-major, F-major, G-major, A-minor, D-minor, E-minor

Once you get your head around that, you can start taking on "one black key" (eg in a F scale).

...and yes, I still get caught out by chords like Bb minor, Db major etc

The Y-man

Reaction score
hi All,

One/two fingered chords are a great way of getting you started quickly and easily, and use them myself sometimes, but
like to turn it off and learn new chords shapes and inversions once I have learned the number completely. George

Reaction score
Seems to me that your original question was regarding 'just' your left hand, and there are many schools of thought here. I've been playing for more years than I care to count, and I still don't use my left hand for much chord work; but I do use it to play 'bass lines' and - in combination with my right hand - complex arpeggios.

Having said that, if you're planning on playing music which requires you to play chords with your left hand, learn how to do it yourself rather than relying on a 'canned' electronic algorithm. Then you can modify those chords so they sound like what YOU want them to sound like.

Reaction score
Hi
Thanks very much for all your replies - really appreciate your thoughts. Must admit I hadn't thought of the issue of different keyboards having different "set ups" for chords.
And yes I was only thinking of playing chords with my left hand - I'm actually left handed and find that I can cope with playing more than one note at a time with my left hand but not my right - I have a crooked index finger and some arthritis in another finger on my right hand which does make playing more than one note at a time more difficult for me.
Thanks again,
I'll try to continue with the fingered chords - it does seem to make sense.
Bertie

Reaction score
I'd definitely learn chords if i were you. I've been playing 18 months and learnt how the chords are structured, so for instance if i want a minor chord, i know its 3 semitones and then 4 semitones from the starting note. Like anything in life, once you learn the rule, you don't need to "know" a, say, Bb Minor chord, you just apply the rule. Knowing all this stuff will also be good for your right hand cos those notes will invariably "work" with the chords you're playing.

Also, why limit yourself with a bash of a chord, it will be more interesting, playing the notes of the chord separately for a bit more interest.

My opinion, is learn it properly - you wouldn't try and learn guitar strumming by playing single notes and the guitar plays the chord for you.

Reaction score
Hi
Thanks again - think what will work best for me due to my wonky fingers is to use a combination of single and fingered chords.
Thanks to you all for taking the time to advise me - much appreciated.

Bertie
:)

Ask a Question