Songwriting keyboard

Reaction score
Well, I debated with the Juno DS for awhile but it didn't have a sequencer and the Kross would have been a nightmare to do it. So then when I compared the PA300/700 with Yamaha mentioned in this thread, I kept wanting the PA700 but is was pricey for me. But I decided to give it a go and then compared other models in the price range. I liked the krome ex but PA700 hands down.

Now is my second day of playing with it I have learned alot and downloaded a lot of stuff to load on it. But I had one issue. I edited a style and put it in a user bank. I edited a drumkit and saved it to a user bank. And they are there. So then I set the lower instrument on keyboard to my custom drumkit. But the kit that plays is not my custom one. I don't know what is playing. Some drumkit but not mine. The key mapping is wrong too. In my custom kit the F key is a low tom but playing that key is a cymbal when in style mode.

If anyone can help Thanks.
eric2800

Reaction score
Eric
I have had a 700 since it first became available, in fact I bought the stores one and only demo model that they only had in fir a few days and it was two months before they got another.

Sorry, digressed a bit.

Before you save and edit a Style you need to turn off protection, its in Global > General > Lock and then tap on the Style Tab to get to the page concerned.

I have been helping a couple of other guys getting to grips with their PA’s so rather than write out all the text again if you head over to KorgForums and read this thread, the content will help you get started, do note that these are my methods and other processes may well be available to achieve the same result.

Reaction score
Thanks Biggles,

Alright, I had looked at that post of yours and it along with others here have helped a great deal in learning. I have isolated it to just the drumkit. So custom and user stuff shouldn't matter. Ok so when I switch the lower sound in a stock style to a stock drum kit and play that kit below the split point at the first F on keyboard it is a high pitched percussion like a cymbal. But when I go to sound editor and don't change anything just hit the F it says lower tom and sounds like a tom. Hoping someone can help.Maybe I am completely lost on the sound editing but I am not editing, just hitting the key to play it.

Also I just tried unlocking styles and copying and reedit the style but same thing happens.

Also this is a repost of the korg forums just in case anyone can help.
Thanks

Reaction score
I am a bit unsure as to what you are doing.

So can you load up a Style and make a written note of said Style.

Press the track select button, then press it again.

Now you should see Drum and Perc tracks.

Tap on Drum and note its name, then tap on Perc and also note its name.

Press Drum so it is highlighted

Press Sound and you how have the edit screen 1, where you can edit what you can see.

Now press Menu and you now have edit screen selection menu, press Drumkit

Here you can edit what you want.

Rather than edit the stock Style I suggest that you copy and paste the Dum and Perc sounds to user bank locations, naming them slightly different to the originals.

You can then replace the original Drum and Perc in the Style you loaded previously and save said style to a User location (after turning off protection).

Now you can edit your kit.

Word of warning (and a strong word at that), in the drop down Menu you will see an option Initialize Sound, never ever select that it does things you do not want to have to undo. Korg UK do not even know why it does not have more protection from selecting it.

Reaction score
Ok I will try to explain better and concisely. If I have a user drumkit in sound mode and go to menu -> drumkit to edit but I do not edit it. I just look at the key assignments. I hit the keys that map to sounds but again don't edit it. Now when I go to style with that same kit as the lower track on keyboard and it is there, The keys map to some other sound. Only the lowest C and D have a real kick bass sound. This happens even in a factory style and drumkit. In other words I don't understand what the key assignments mean in the sound edit mode if they don't correspond to the keys when it becomes a lower instrument. I think that is the issue.

Reaction score
It is all about the key mappings I put my custom kit as the upper with no split. The drums from kit play from a key an octave higher. Don't know how to map it to keys I want. Probably complicated.
Thanks for help.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Maybe your board has a split transpose function you could use to shift the key map to the notes you want?

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I don't know about Korg, but Yamaha shifts the notes used with their drum kits by an octave, and it sounds like Korg might be doing the same thing. Yamaha mentions this in their manuals where they have the charts showing what each note corresponds to in each drum kit, so I recommend checking those charts in your Korg manual to see what they say.

Just to clarify what I mean, each sound in a drum kit is associated with a particular MIDI Note value-- the value that should be used in the MIDI Note On and Note Off messages. These might not correlate with the physical keys on the keyboard that you are expecting them to, because they might be shifted by an octave. I suspect that this is done so that the majority of the sounds in the drum kit can be played on the keyboard, because some of them probably have MIDI Note values which would fall to the left of the lowest key on a 61-key keyboard. So basically the MIDI Note values which are triggered by the physical keys are shifted an octave for convenience.

Some keyboards do this same sort of octave shift with certain voices or instrument sounds, based on the natural range of notes that can be played by those instruments. For example, if you split the keyboard so you can play a bass guitar sound on the left side of the split, chances are that the left side of the split will be shifted down an octave so that the keys correspond to MIDI Note values which an octave lower than usual.

Reaction score
Congrats Eric on getting the pa700!!!! Youve chosen well. I've had a dozen keyboards over the last 30 years, many of them arrangers, and this is my first board I love to bits, I just get engrossed every time I play it, the sound quality and arrangement Styles are top notch. And surprise of surprises, for the first time I'm using the arranger functions, they've done a knock out job of creating useable Styles for the most partl

Over at the Korg forum for the pa700/1000, I'll probably start a thread for beginners. Biggles helped me out with the same kind of questions, it can be convoluted! Just remember that everything comes back to the Song and SetList (both panel buttons).

I wrote some ways to optimize the board for live sound playing, no Styles, on the pa4x forum.

Live sound link

Keep in mind that the pa700/1000 is very close to the same board as their top of the line pa4x, so you can get a lot of info from reading that part of the Korg forums as well.

Randy

Reaction score
I bang on about the Korg UK webinars but they really are excellent.

Thurs 24th Oct at 17:00 BST its Pete Shaw in concert.

Watch live or the recorded version for just how good the Korg PA is in the hands of a maestro.

There is a link on the site to the crowdcast host site.

Ask a Question