Soundguy here-Looking for keyboard help

Reaction score
Hi all. I was doing sound for a lounge band the other day and was watching the keyboard player scramble through sheet music when the band changed the set list on the fly. I was wondering if there is a software system which would allow the keyboard player the ability to scan/ download his music and be able, through a touchscreen, access all of his material. I felt sorry for the guy....

Thanks,
John

Reaction score
You're a very kind sound man. Yes there are options. I don't use any of them but I know a singer and a bass player who do. They have their Realbooks as apps on their iphones. OK for a quick reminder of a tune you already know.

The other ones I've seen advertised are expensive - google Digital Music Stand, Electronic Music Stand - nothing cheap.

If the keyboard player has an ipad already it might be worth looking through the apps. Anything else is going to be hundreds of notes.

Reaction score
I use GuitarTapp pro. You can search for songs which come up with a variety of formats - lyrics w/chords, tablature, etc. There are very few songs that aren’t available. All your saved songs are saved in ‘favourites’ and easily accessible and you can also save set lists. The songs are all easily editable (change lyrics, transpose and save, etc.).
I have 2 iPads on a stand - one for GuitarTapp and one for either my xair12 or FOH x32 Behringers (to control my own in-ear monitoring).
I edit the songs on guitartapp to include all my patch changes and whatever other notes I need for that particular song.
It’s well worth having a look at - no more paper.

Reaction score
I use GuitarTapp pro. You can search for songs which come up with a variety of formats - lyrics w/chords, tablature, etc. There are very few songs that aren’t available. All your saved songs are saved in ‘favourites’ and easily accessible and you can also save set lists. The songs are all easily editable (change lyrics, transpose and save, etc.).
I have 2 iPads on a stand - one for GuitarTapp and one for either my xair12 or FOH x32 Behringers (to control my own in-ear monitoring).
I edit the songs on guitartapp to include all my patch changes and whatever other notes I need for that particular song.
It’s well worth having a look at - no more paper.
The Op posted in 2011 and has not returned since.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Easily happens.

When you have a valid report to make then starting a new thread with it as the topic will probably help others more than it being buried in an old thread with a very different title

You know what Col, it really doesn't matter how old a thread is.

Hopefully whenever Ian calls it quits, someone else would consider taking over the forums simply to maintain the wonderful archive of Q's & A's we've amassed here over the decades. :)

The searches are very efficient and pull up ANY keywords from older threads.

And years later, it's nice to bring up yesterday's solution to today's problem.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hi all. I was doing sound for a lounge band the other day and was watching the keyboard player scramble through sheet music when the band changed the set list on the fly. I was wondering if there is a software system which would allow the keyboard player the ability to scan/ download his music and be able, through a touchscreen, access all of his material. I felt sorry for the guy....

Thanks,
John
ForScore is the industry standard iPad app for sheet music.

Reaction score
Try ForScore for iPad. It seem to be, in Europe anyway, the industry standard for sheet music management.

Reaction score
I’ve just looked at ForScore and I guess, if you need sheet music, it would be pretty good. For those of us that are gigging in rock/blues/country bands and just need chord charts or tabs, lyrics, and setlists, GuitarTapp Pro still seems to be pretty good. A song has to be pretty obscure to not be available on GuitarTapp Pro. I also set mine up with a black screen with white lettering and yellow chords - it’s easier to reference during stage performance (for me anyway). If you need sheet music in order to play, then GuitarTapp is not for you.
I didn’t get a full-on look at ForScore simply because I didn’t want to spend $27.99 CDN for something to replace what I’m already very satisfied with. Plus, for what I do, I don’t ever need sheet music.
I also looked at the MusicNote app, which was free with 5 star reviews. The free library provided is extremely limited, so you have to purchase pretty much everything as you need it. Just for fun, I searched for sheet music for a rock song. Nope. (And I picked a tune that I knew there was sheet music available for)

Reaction score
I play drums and percussion in a praise band, We all use Onsong for the Ipad. Not very expensive, but lots of features like scrolling up or down with a foot switch. The band leader can forward changes to the other band members immediately, such as key notes. Works very well.

Ask a Question