SP4-7 trial - USB issues

Reaction score
Purchased used SP4 from GC excellent condition (controller/backup for my PC361) except I found out after receiving that USB port does not work (already has latest V2.10.1). I conferred with Kurzweil support (Jean is great) and likely will need repair, so I need to debate quickly about keeping the unit. I am in quandary now because I will be calling GC to ask how it would work out if I or they would get the board fixed since issue with dead USB were not known to them or me.

The board is pristine looking and keys play well except for those crazy sharp edges so I am thinking it would be worth keeping if I could [1] potentially “fix” the sharp keys (link below on filing) and [2] be assured that my PC361 setups would load and play well (dealbreaker).

[1] Regarding sharp keys would be interested to know if smoothing the edges actually works. (don’t feel I can sand board I have not committed especially given USB repair issue). I find that glasandos are scary pain and even regular playing can feel those edges scratching me.. takes some pleasure out of playing.

[2] Regarding loading my PC361 sounds, unfortunately cannot test BECAUSE I cannot load any files given bad USB port in SP4. I went ahead and have been comparing programs that are the same in both and noticed PC361 distinctly more lush sounding for some EP, piano, and definitely the KB3. Is that because of the better processing capabilities of the PC361, or if I were able to load the PC361 setups would there be an improvement? (example common KB3 programs on SP4 (i.e. Ninth bar) sound too gritty and harsh – but no way for me to assess or edit that without USB working.

Thanks in advance for any insights – will help me decide. (Sure wish that USB were working so I did not have guess and ask such an open ended question about sound quality).

Reaction score
I used to own one of these keyboards - here are the soundsets you can download for it:

http://kurzweil.com/product/sp4-7/downloads/

Quoting from Kurzweil's website: "The SP4 can also load programs created on our PC3 and PC3LE series keyboards (*within the limits of the SP4's DSP resources)." So you can expect a drop in sound quality, which is only reasonable as the SP4-7 is a far less sophisticated beast than the PC3 series.

I think the SP4-7 is a great sounding keyboard and makes a great stage piano - I only ever used the stock sounds and was very happy with them. If I wanted to do something a little trickier I used to use my workstation keyboard.

However the non-working USB is a worry if you want to upgrade your OS, load the extra sounds off the website or use the SoundTower editor. Your call really - maybe the repair isn't too expensive?

Reaction score
Thanks Cowboy, I was aware of the Kurz soundsets but I already have 150+ setups of my own with PC361 and reason for SP4 interest (could use PC3 editor ofr SP4 editor)- unfortunately cannot try that out with broken USB. The amount of drop in quality with stock sounds same program comparison surprised me - that is why I am wondering if the effects settings in PC3 versions might mitigate some of that drop - wish I could load them to see for myself.

Also interested to know from those that filed the sharp keys how much that helped..

Ask a Question