Split keyboards

Reaction score
Hello. I'm new to keyboards I have a yamaha e463 As you'll know it has auto accompaniment which is great. I learn a few chords for the left hand and play melody with the right. I'm learning with Kenneth Baker's Complete Keyboard player Great. But I want to learn to play the piano properly on it and different chords are used for the electronic keyboard and the piano For example on the auto accompaninent, the C chord is G, C and E with the G starting 5th key from the left When learning piano, C chord is C, E and F with the C key being one below middle C.

Is there any way I can use the piano chords for both please ? It seems daft having to learn two different chords

Many thanks

Aidan

Reaction score
I'll try to make it clearer. And yes I made a mistake - sorry The yamaha keyboard I have can be used as a piano. When playing the piano I use the notes C E G to form a left hand chord of C. See photo entitled C Chord symbol.

When I play using the auto accompaniment, I have to use different notes on the left hand to form a C chord. See photo entitled C accompaniment section.

Learning two different sets of chords seems pointless to me. I'd like to be able to use the piano chords for everything. Hope that's clearer. Thanks

Attachments

• 20180716_150153.jpg
    20180716_150153.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 351
  • 20180716_150216.jpg
    20180716_150216.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 340
Reaction score
Look again. Both are showing a C-E-G chord. One of them is what is called a 2nd inversion, with the fifth (G) on the bottom, followed by the C and finally the E on top. No F's are being played.
Maybe this will help you:
C E G, E G C, C G E, E C G , G E C, and G C E are all C major chords.

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
What I think is tripping you up are the chord inversions. Basically as long as you play a chord with the same notes it makes little difference where they are located on the keyboard and inversions allow you to shift chords with an economy of motion that would not be possible if you changed the entire fingering of each chord.

Google Chord Inversions and you'll see what I'm talking about.

The auto accompaniment on your Yamaha and similar keyboards from Casio do not take inversions into account.

If you want to become proficient at piano then you pretty much have to learn all the inversions for the chords you use.

Gary ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks Gary. That's most helpful. I don't understand chord inversions, that's why I posted this in the beginners area, but I'm encouraged and will do as you suggest. Thanks for your support. Aidan

Reaction score
Aidan

Play a root C chord, C E G

Now take your finger off the C and play the C one octave higher, this is the First Inversion.

Now playing the G and C move the E one octave higher, this is the Second Inversion

Thats it, at its simplest this is the same for all three note chords

Try this play Root C, 2nd F and 2nd G, take note of how little you have to move your hand.

This is the beauty of learning inversions.

Reaction score
Aidan

Play a root C chord, C E G

Now take your finger off the C and play the C one octave higher, this is the First Inversion.

Now playing the G and C move the E one octave higher, this is the Second Inversion

Thats it, at its simplest this is the same for all three note chords

Try this play Root C, 2nd F and 2nd G, take note of how little you have to move your hand.

This is the beauty of learning inversions.
Thank you Biggles. Perfectly explained.

Ask a Question