Cubase - Splitting Zones on the MIDI Keyboard

Reaction score
I want to create zones on the MIDI keyboard so that I assign a vst instrument on the lower registers and another one on the higher registers.

How to do that?

Does Cubase support that or do I have to use an external Plug-In? Which one do you recommend?

Thanks

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I think you should be able to do that in Cubase. I have Cubase, but I don't use it very much yet, so I'll have to look up the specifics.

What you're looking for is usually called "MIDI effects," so most DAWs treat it as a sort of effects plugin that you must add to a track's chain to modify it, similar to the way you add reverb to a track.

There are often a variety of MIDI effects available-- depending on the DAW-- and the type you're looking for lets you filter the incoming Note On/Off events. This usually involves setting a range of notes that you want to let through, such as C1 through B2. Any notes outside of the specified range will be filtered out.

So you would normally set up separate MIDI tracks for each split or layer or zone that you want to use, apply the MIDI effects option to each track, filter out all of the notes except the ones you want for that zone, and send the notes to the desired virtual instrument, as in the following example:

Track 1 - Low Note C1, High Note B2
Track 2 - Low Note C1, High Note B2
Track 3 - Low Note C3, High Note B4
Track 4 - Low Note C3, High Note B4
Track 5 - Low Note C5, High Note C6

This assumes that the controller has 61 keys which are identified as C1 through C6. The bottom two octaves of the controller would play two virtual instruments (VIs) layered together (tracks 1 and 2). The next two octaves would play two other VIs layered together (tracks 3 and 4). And the highest octave would play a single VI.

What are you using as the keyboard controller? I'll crank up Cubase and take some screenshots later.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I haven't taken any screenshots yet, but in Cubase you would select the desired MIDI track, then in the Inspector pane on the left you would click on MIDI Modifiers to open up that section. Then you would use the two fields under Range to specify the low note and high note for the range of notes you want to allow through the filter. In the top Range field, click where it says OFF and change it to Note Filter. Then you can set the min and max values for the range. You don't need to worry about the bottom Range field; just leave it set to OFF.

You would do this for each MIDI track you want to use for a zone. If you let me know which keyboard you're using, so I can see how many keys it has and what MIDI Note values they send, as well as give me an example of how you'd like to split the keyboard-- such as botton 2 octaves and upper 3 octaves-- then I can provide more specific instructions.

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your detailed answer.

I'll check the part on Cubase and see If I can do it.

I use Nektar Impact LX61+ (61 keys)

Reaction score
I haven't taken any screenshots yet, but in Cubase you would select the desired MIDI track, then in the Inspector pane on the left you would click on MIDI Modifiers to open up that section. Then you would use the two fields under Range to specify the low note and high note for the range of notes you want to allow through the filter. In the top Range field, click where it says OFF and change it to Note Filter. Then you can set the min and max values for the range. You don't need to worry about the bottom Range field; just leave it set to OFF.

You would do this for each MIDI track you want to use for a zone. If you let me know which keyboard you're using, so I can see how many keys it has and what MIDI Note values they send, as well as give me an example of how you'd like to split the keyboard-- such as botton 2 octaves and upper 3 octaves-- then I can provide more specific instructions.

Thank you for a great and helpful answer

Ask a Question