Spooky scale

Reaction score
I just found a quite spooky scale that I've never seen before, it's used in the Dream Theater song called Octavarium, the tones in it are the following:

F G Ab Bb B Db D E

I'm pretty sure that F is the root as well... What makes it so spooky is that it has one more tone than the usual scales, and you I can't really decide wether the black keys are flat or sharp ones...But the most important, it sounds cool :)

Anyone knows what this scale might be called?

EDIT: Just managed to look it up in a program, and it seems to be called "Whole-Half scale", if that's correct...

Reaction score
oh man thats awesome!
yeah but I have no idea about scale names, sorry
just wanted to say it sounds pretty neat

Reaction score
I just made that simple conclusion as well: D and F whole-half scales are identical, except for the root note. I think there are several whole-half tone scales that are identical, I just haven't really found the pattern yet

Reaction score
Yeah, I thought it was something like that. I know that there are only 2 different whole-tone scales, for logical reasons, but I realized the above statement just a few hours ago, haven't really got the time to try it out.

Reaction score
Haha! I haven't even heard that song and I use this scale for some of my lead playing on guitar! I should try playing around with it on keyboards

Reaction score
Just saw this thread again and realized where in the song you were talking about; it's one of the more interesting parts of the song for me. Octavarium is so well put together.

Indeed it is. I think they actually use it on two (what I've found this far) places in the song, both is during Full Circle, though.

Ask a Question