Stage Piano Suggestions?

Reaction score
Hi :)

I'm looking for a good, gig-gable stage piano, with weighted or semi weighted keys, but in a smaller size than the standard 88key.

I play in a Beatles band mostly guitar, but I double on Keys for a number of tracks.

My problem is that I already have to lug around all my Guitar gear, so the extra Keyboard gear really becomes a pain after a few gigs.

We play extensively across the UK, Europe and USA so weight and size are pretty important, especially these days with airlines charging a fortune on excess baggage.

Here's a list of sounds i REALLY need, i'm not too bothered about anything else:

Piano
Rhodes
Organ
Wurlitzer
Harpsichord
Brass section

Until recently, i've been using a Kurzweil SP2. The sounds are perfect for what I need, and even the brass patch is passable. The only problem is the sheer size and weight.

I've downgraded to a Roland RS-5 which i picked up second hand. This is lightweight and very portable, but i REALLY miss the feel of a proper keyboard. Also, i've had to compromise with sound quality too - The piano is really lacking, and the Brass is that horrific Synth-y brass sound that Casio starter keyboards have.

I've looked online but I cant seem to see ANYONE who makes a decent 66key, apart from Nord - which is WAY out my price range.

Ideally, i'd be looking to spend a similar amount as the Kurzweil - Around £600.

Hope someone can help!
Thanks in advance,

Ross Nicoll, Revolver.

www.revolverdundee.com

Reaction score
Here's a video which features most of the sounds I use - in this clip i'm playing the Kurzweil. The piano tracks start about half way... :)

Reaction score
Hey there RevolverDundee - I'm up the river from you in Perth. Couldn't get your link above working but checked out your myspace page and photos - and I don't know any of you but welcome to the forum.

Bad news - the keyboard you're after doesn't exist. If it's working out for you and the guys think about the newer Muse Receptor - about four or fives times what you're looking for.

Convincing brass is the problem. I can point you in the right direction for VSTs that'll do cracking brass (none of that Kazoo stuff) - but you'll need to run them on something.

Can you live with the RS-5?

Good luck on your quest for world Beatles tribute band domination.

P.S. Hope they looked after you in Whelans (I'm in Perth but a blow in from over the Irish sea).

Reaction score
Thanks man. Better get saving the pennies!

I'd thought about using VST's before - then just using the Abbey Road Piano's pack,but i'm really not keen on relying on a laptop live.

Whelans was great mate! We had a blast. Playing in Dundee tomorrow night, if you're in town come and say hi! :)

Cheers again,
Ross

Reaction score
Hi Ross

I out next four. In Dundee with a (new to me) band on Sunday - pub gig somewhere.

I'd shy away from the laptop live thing. I did just over 100 gigs on a laptop plus midi controller. It only went down twice but the second time it was during an exposed piano bit. I'm back to all hardware. I've posted on here before that if gigs paid better I'd go for two Receptors with an A/B switch to flick across to the back up in case the main one was acting up. I'm at the tail end of my gigging career - next stop for me is probably restaurants and hotels - but you guys look like you've time on your side (from your photos). The stuff is getting better all the time. The Receptor is out on its own right now - you can rack mount it, they install the stuff you want so no footering around. It's a computer but it isn't - you won't be tempted to check your emails on it or load a game or two. It's a sound module. No virus software to worry about. No Microsoft updates to install.

Good luck with your band. I'll look out for you and try and get a chance to hear you live. I'm a big fan of the Fab Four.

Colin

Ask a Question