Still can't connect Yamaha DGX-530 to laptop

Reaction score
I've been trying for weeks now to connect the audio output (not the midi output) from my Yahama DGX-530 to my laptop computer so that the incoming volume level on Mixcraft 6 (my recording platform) will not be distorted. I've tried a wide variety of set-ups and nothing works. I've tried a variety of attenuating cords, I've tried all the possible settings options available in Mixcraft. I've tried to run the signal through a TASCAM line level device to moderate it up front and tried adjusting all sorts of settings as I did so. Still no luck.

Whatever the setup, when I plug it into my laptop and attempt to monitor it on Mixcraft, all I usually get is loud feedback.

Not sure what's left to try. Maybe there's some line level device that I still need to buy. The laptop model, btw, is ASUS. Again, the keyboard is DGX-530.

Thanks for any ideas!

Brian

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
What you basically need is something that will attenuate the headphone out by about 20dB to bring it to line levels. Headphone impedances are typically about 50 ohms at about 2-3 volts while line signals are typically around 10 to 100 mV and about 100 Kohm impedances.

I've looked around on the web for one of these before and have yet to find one ready made that connects to standard TR plugs though they are readily available for XLR Mic inputs.

I have seen a few DIY projects out there though.

My advice is to buy or build a couple of 20 dB inline attenuators and insert them into your signal path.

Also, stop trying to run it directly to the soundcard before you blow out your output and/or your inputs.

http://www.uneeda-audio.com/pads/

Hope this helps ;)

Gary

Reaction score
It sounds good. I only wish the video had concluded with some ordering information. It sounds like I could use the 20db pad that he mentioned along with the necessary cords. I'm a little surprised these aren't more readily available for purchase -- but maybe most people who record this keyboard I have are using it for its midi functions.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The first link I posted before the video is a DIY guide to building your own. Like I said, I've researched this stuff before and have mostly drawn a blank on a ready made solution for keyboards.

Then again if you are handy with a soldering iron or have a friend who could build one for you, it could readily be built for less than $20 worth of radio shack parts.

Most techs would have the necessary parts and connectors already floating around in their parts bins.

Reaction score
Thanks, Gary. Sounds like good information to work with. At least now I know what I'm looking for.

Wes

Reaction score
You should be able to your DGX-530 headphone/line out directly to your PC with the volume knob set to approximately 9 o'clock. If it distorting, you are most likely plugging it into your microphone input. You want the line in. There is no need to run a pad with these keyboards IME. Yamaha designed them explicitly to be compatible with consumer audio gear.

Reaction score
I use the "line in" to computer from the "headphone out" on the DGX 630 I have. Into Audacity. Never had problems, and the sound is unique amongst Digital pianos. You should get similar results.

Ask a Question