Stripping vocals from an audio mp3/wav file

Reaction score
A friend of mine asked me, if it was possible to take an audio recording of a Bollywood song, and strip out the vocals to create a backing track.

The owner's manual of the Yamaha PSR-E343, a budget priced portable keyboard says, "When the sound of the external audio device is output through this instrument, you can cancel or lower the volume of the sound located in the center of stereo playback. Since most melody parts such as vocal are located in the center of the stereo sound, you can use the function to cancel the melody part then practice it via the keyboard."
I doubt if it will work -- can someone confirm?

Getting a computer to recognize audio chords from a piano is extremely difficult.
There are definitely some expensive software products that try very hard to do this.
It's called vocal polishing -- removing or correcting wrong notes in piano recordings; changing the chords in a guitar accompaniment after the recording is over.

Enter Melodyne editor -- flagship software product from Celemony Software GmbH of Munich, Germany. The stuff of dreams.

While it might just about work with a clean audio recording of a single instrument like a piano or a guitar, it's close to impossible to do it in a full orchestral recording.

At the present time, this is still an area where the human mind has an advantage!
A little like trying to recover eggs, flour and sugar out of a cake, huh?

Reaction score
To a certain extend it works. My PSR S950 has that function and as you have already mentioned the melody (singer) is usually centered in the stereo spectrum. But it takes quite a bit of other sounds from that center away as well. I have never used it really and am not impressed but also have no use for it myself.

Reaction score
+1 to what DickR wrote above. You can get software that'll strip out the main (centered) vocal.

I used this maybe 10 to 12 years ago, It's Dirext X (not a VST) but it ran in nTrack Studio at the time. I was knocking out rehearsal tracks for a music theatre company. They didn't use them for the live show however - just for rehearsal.

http://www.tucows.com/preview/799402/Vocal-Remover-DirectX-

Why don't you try an internet search to see if someone is offering Karaoke versions of the tunes you want?

Reaction score
:)Hi if you are looking for good software that is FREE 11111 YES free. Try "Audacity" its on the the web I am an ex pro musician and used it to make backing tracks it also includes a vocal removal tool and much more,it's easy to use.
Good luck John.

Reaction score
+1 on the Audacity recommendation. Hadn't checked the list of included plugins in a while. If you try it post back and let us know how you got on.

Ask a Question