Suggestion for a Few FAQs

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Hi.

I'm relatively new to the board but I've noticed a lot of similar questions about MIDI hardware, software, hookups and sequencers and recording.

Perhaps on the front page of the forum you could link to a few FAQs about the MIDI standard, available hardware and software and basic howtos on how to hook things up and get them going?

The same could be done with the subject of buying new gear and software as well as maybe a links page to other MIDI resources on the web.

It makes sense to me to be able to point a newbie at a FAQ link rather than write a 40 line post everytime someone is having trouble configuring their DAW and keyboard to work together.

I could maybe write something like this up myself, but I'd be unable to guarantee any deadlines and I don't by any means consider myself to be an expert. For starters, a few links to offsite FAQs and resources would probably go a long way toward getting things started.

Just a thought... ;)

Gary

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
For the time being I can think of a few FAQs to create.

1) MIDI implementation along with a brief history of MIDI
2) Overview of MIDI and Channels and Programs/Patches and SysEX commands
3) Overview of what a sequencer is and how they work in general. Both hardware and software.
4) Overview of Audio Recording and MP3 Encoding Softwares on various Platforms
5) The differences between Audio and MIDI recording and some suggested softwares
6) An Upload/Download Page for hard to find INS files and other useful config files.
7) Buyer's guide to software and hardware with tips on buying used versus new
8) Links Pages with Links to Manufacturers and Vendors and MIDI resources and Software on the web.

That's what comes off the top of my head. If anyone else has any suggestions or wants to contribute I'd say put them into this thread.

Regards ;)
Gary

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Some of the typical questions which I've seen repeat themselves over and over here are.

What is a sequencer?
Why doesn't my keyboard make any sound when I connect it to a sequencer?
How do I record MP3's on my computer with my Keyboard?
Does a USB cable/MIDI cable send sound to the computer?
What software can I find out there that's not too expensive?
What is a MIDI file?
What is a MIDI Channel?
How do I choose a keyboard?
How do I fix latency problems?
What is a DAW?
What is a VST/Soft Synth?
What is a MIDI module?
How do I connect more than one MIDI keyboard?
Why doesn't Plug And Play work with my synth?
How do I export my guitar riffs to a MIDI file?

These are some of the questions which seem to arise over and over again which would be well served by a few well written FAQs with explanations.

Regards,
Gary

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Hi Gary. Good suggestion. Maybe you could start a list of some specific FAQs that you think would be useful.

One Item that might be very useful is some kind of MIDI troubleshooters flowchart. To help people having trouble hooking up for the first time.

Regards,
Gary

Ask a Question