Synth recommendations for live gigging with preset recall buttons

Reaction score
Hey crew - I am on the hunt for a stage synth that I can use for gigging to take over as my main synth engine. I play in multiple improv/jam band style groups that require on-the-fly changes and the ability to create sounds instantly. I am definitely not looking for something that required pre-programmed setlists as sometimes we will change songs randomly or even play songs we didn't even talk about playing, so quick action is key.

I currently use a Roland VR-09 as my main synth. It's awesome in that is has great preset patches and I can tap and hold one of the performance bank buttons, and within 2 seconds that sound is saved to that button. So if in the moment I want to use that sound, it's literally one tap away and exactly how I remember it. The downside is that editing the parameters and LFOs and such is not easily accessible - there's a few knobs and one MFX knob that is pretty wimpy. In order to get to the meat you have to use an ipad or assign parameters to a midi controller - I would not like to do either of those things on stage. I want my synth to have everything accessible right on the board.

I used a Behringer DeepMind 12 for a bit. I loved the extensive faders and full access to adjusting the scope of sound right at my finger tips. However, the only way to change patches was to scroll through a list. So even if I set my favorites to be the first 10 in a patch bank, if I was on patch 1 and wanted to use patch 10, I had to scroll through 2-9 to get there, leading to mistakes of over or underscrolling in the moment.

As far as a few of my searches have gone, I feel like I can only get one or the other. Or if it does have both, the editable parameters are like deep in a menu dive or the patch recall is in scrollable list format instead of instant button press.

So I am looking for my holy grail here: A synth that has vast editable parameters right on board, that ALSO has quick-save/quick-access performance bank buttons/patch recall on the fly. I also would of course like it to be as inexpensive as possible. And ideally 49-key minimum, 76 maximum.

I do not use arpeggiators nor do I need to sync midi or timing or anything - I'm more into synth lead and pads. I already have a piano, rhodes, clavinet, and organ, so this board would be exclusively for synth sounds. And again I do not want to bring extra equipment to make this work - no computers or ipads or midi controllers in my rig.

Does this dream exist in reality somewhere?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Whoa this Studiologic looks awesome! Most of the videos I watched about this show the scroll wheel to go between patches. I do see the keypad but haven’t seen someone explain how it’s used. Do you know this board? Is it typing in the 3 numbers of the patch and boom it’s loaded?

Reaction score
Wow! It's the closest thing to exactly what I want. Just wish it could be a one button push instead of 3. I know a minimal issue, but I can foresee meaning to type 112 and accidentally hitting 113 or 122 instead in a fast-paced environment. But this is just about as good as it can get! Thanks for sending this!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
And the only difference between the black and the yellow is the color.

The yellows are discontinued.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
On the Take 5 it's 16 buttons per bank and 16 banks.

A single button push in a bank can handle the setlist.

Actually I own one of each.

Reaction score
On the Take 5 it's 16 buttons per bank and 16 banks.

A single button push in a bank can handle the setlist.

Actually I own one of each.
Oh wow okay so that is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. Have been watching a bunch on the SL, haven't dove into the Take 5 yet. Do you have a preference of the two?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Right now I have my sledge in storage mainly because of space limitations.

But honestly I would never sell either one.

They're both that good. :)

Ask a Question