Midi Channel 1 or mpe for using controller on soft synths?

Reaction score
Using Arturia Keylab Essential 49 mk3 and Ipad Moog Model d, 15, and animoog Z does midi channel 1 or mpe setting work better for the mk3 functionality? Arturia says the 1 key chord, scale, hold and arp are hardware functions that should work since it's not software but hardware functionality. I'm looking for more keyboard function if possible so would Midi channel 1 or mp3 be better, or does it make any difference at all? Appreciate any insights!

Reaction score
I don't know anything about the Arturia side of theings, but in general, it depends on what you're trying to do. If you have an MPE-compatible app, running it in MPE mode allows you to apply some things (like pitch bend) on a note-by-note basis (instead of affecting all notes or none)... but it limits you to total polyphony of 16 (combined, for all apps you're running). So, what do you have a greater need for... more note-by-note control, or more polyphony?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for that info! Good question on note 4 note or poly. That will figure into what I’m playing at the time. I can always switch up as needed from mpe to 1 or vv. I usually play hardware synths and this is my first controller with ipad, which, i love using dawless w/ moog and streetlytron apps.

Reaction score
A better keyboard would help.

The Essential is a very flaky product with an indifferent keybed, hit and miss functionality of controls and all in all not worth the cash.

Mine lasted a month of faffing around trying to get it to work and in the end I sold it.

You would be better selling it on and buying a better model.

Reaction score
Yeah, I get that, the keyboard is not for everyone and I understand your frustration. I tried NI KK A49 but the keylab has wider range of hardware functionality for dawless which is my intended use.
Cheers

Ask a Question