Tell me about my Yamaha GS-1 (predecessor of DX-7) por favor?

Reaction score
I've had a GS-1 Yamaha for quite a few years and have finally messed with it and got the strip reader working, and LOVE the sounds that it produces. I need to open it up to loosen ONE hey and am wondering which of the MANY screws on the bottom release the lid. Also wondering what something like this might bring on the Keyboard Market. I hear there were only 100 of these made and that they cost $25,000 new. I have two packets of the Sound Strips, and the unit is complete and ALMOST works perfectly. Cosmetically in pretty decent shape, ESPECIALLY given its age and the fact that it it was lugged around for concerts. I believe that his was Toto's first FM synth and it you look at the Africa video I believe it is THIS unit that you are looking at. I hope there is a GS-1 Guru out there!

Reaction score
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug01/articles/retrofmpt1.asp

Wow. Total collector's item - if you can find the right collector. The link is from a UK published magazine called Sound On Sound (it's very good). Little bit about your keyboard in there.

I see your location is Las Vegas. Not sure who we have on this forum that would be near you and able to advise/help out. Get in contact with the Yamaha dealership near you and tell them what you have - they'll be interested.

You'll also have lots of big names acts passing through (given your Vegas location). I imagine it wouldn't be too hard a sell if that's your intention. You just need to see who's appearing and be proactive about looking for the right collector with sufficiently deep pockets.

A post on the US magazine forum for Keyboard might be worth a go. I think there are some Vegas based people on there.

Any chance you could upload a Youtube video of you playing a few sounds on it and put the link on here on our forum?

Reaction score
Wow- thanks so much for the reply- I've been having such fun with it lately- couldn't find the Sound Strips for the longest time, and have been amazed at the quality and diversity of the sounds, especially given that it was probably developed in the late 70s (and released in '81).

I ESPECIALLY Appreciate you advising that I use my Home Town Advantage. When You live here, you are immersed in it and it never occurred to me to be "proactive" here in "sin city" (a pretty normal town when you get away from the strip.

I'm not very internet savvy- when you mention US magazine forum for keyboards I don't know what you mean.

As far as the video- ANOTHER Good suggestion. I'm amazed at the quality and innovativeness of the sounds and it would be nice to be able to share them!

Will

Reaction score
Thanks, Rebecca (this name seems to go better with your profile pic). I'm excited to mingle amongst keyboard players on a more personal level. Although I'm a whiz on the computer, I've stuck myself in the 19th Century a bit- I'm working up to getting a texting phone. This is my first keyboard venture into forums. I'm surprised at how many people have even HEARD of the GS-1. I've felt like such a lone wolf- "whadda ya mean the predecessor to the DX-7"? There is such a rich history in the development of keyboards- I became aware of things I didn't know as writers talk of keyboard market as a "horsereace"- Yamaha vs Moog vs Prophet, etc in TRYING to research the SG-1. My knowledga and Life have been uplifted by my search.

Thank you for your friendly welcome!

William

Reaction score
I'm not very internet savvy- when you mention US magazine forum for keyboards I don't know what you mean.

MusicPlayer.com and look for the link to the Keyboard Corner. You'll need to register to post.

Bit of cross-over - some of the crew here are on there too. My impression is we're more "global" - most of the regular posters on there are US based. We also have more "home keyboard" people here.

Ask a Question