The best keyboard amp?

Reaction score
Does anyone have suggestions regarding the best keyboard amp for a Hammond XK-3c, Yamaha Motif, Roland Fantom and a Korg Trinity to play through simultaneously, live with a funk band?

Reaction score
I like the Roland KC-550 180W Keyboard Amp. That's what I use. It has a good sound, and 4 stereo channels plus an AUX in, and XLR outs. I use it for my Triton Extreme, Nord Electro 3, Boss GT-8 (yep a guitar processor), and my vocal (need to add a small fx unit for reverb and delay). But it sounds good and is built tough.

Nice selection of gear btw. :)

Reaction score
I like the Roland KC-550 180W Keyboard Amp. That's what I use. It has a good sound, and 4 stereo channels plus an AUX in, and XLR outs. I use it for my Triton Extreme, Nord Electro 3, Boss GT-8 (yep a guitar processor), and my vocal (need to add a small fx unit for reverb and delay). But it sounds good and is built tough.

Nice selection of gear btw. :)
Thanks Musicman. I went ahead and purchased the Roland KC 880 after two days of tedious research. It is nice to see you agree with my choice since you have the next amp I was considering. Your gear is equally impressive!

Reaction score
Yeah man....I like that one too. I think that one has an ERX processor on it too....nice. That KC-880 is basically 2 KC550s + some EFX. They sound great!!!

You'll have to let me know if U like the rotary sim on the AMP better than the one on the Hammond XK-3c.

Reaction score
I cant believe people like the Kc amps... esp with some of the really nice instruments you have. I have tried in vain to get a keyboard amp to at least match the quality of a monitor wedge and I cant find one that even comes close... I got a kc550 and found it very dull. Has nobody else got the same feeling?

Reaction score
The KC-880 works great for me. I believe wedges sound good because they are designed to project towards your face whereas, most keyboard amps are positioned to project towards the back of your legs. I bought an amp stand and it made my KC-880 amp sound incredible. I am quite pleased with my purchase. For over a year now with hectic tour schedules and local gigs, I have not had one problem. The KC-550 is better suited for keyboard rigs that utilize left-handed bass. It's also incredible for organ pedals.

Reaction score
Yeah, I realise that most PA speakers are better, But for handiness sake I would like an amp with a couple channels and Xlr outs. How does the Roland Sa range, size up to the kc550 anyone

Reaction score
...But for handiness sake I would like an amp with a couple channels and Xlr outs....
For handiness sake the QSC K-10 weighs 32 pounds has a couple of channels and has XLR outs. It matches your requirements ....

Reaction score
Whoops, yes I didnt see it has multiple ins, thats unusual for a a piece of gear like this. I shall look into it further, thank you

Reaction score
Must admit, I'm with ssff, I've never found a keyboard amp that I like. Don't get me wrong, I've blatted electric piano patches through fender twins and the like before, but never a whole keyboard rig. Much prefer patching everything into my Ashly mixer, send the stereo output to FOH and take the monitor out into a nice big wedge monitor. Serves well.

Reaction score
After (40+) years of performing--usually using two keyboards at a time--I have concluded that the best keyboard amp for live performing is a BASS AMP. That's right: A bass combo amp... something with a couple of 10s or 12s, and a 15" extension cabinet. The ideal configuration for this would be Gallien Krueger's MB210 coupled with a 15" extension cabinet. That rig would provide 500 watts of gut wrenching output coupled with the residual benefit of being an extremely attractive stack, weighing in at 35 and 30 lbs respectively. The combo amp's got a Piezo tweeter that's adjustable in throw and the twin 10s (neodymium) and the 15 give you the full spectrum of sound output that keyboards need to have. My B3 sounds are thick and crunchy while the acoustic pianos on the other board sound as real as the "real thing". Roland's stuff is unreliable--at least in my experiences and short of lugging around an 80lb Peavey KB300--which are getting harder to find--the bass rig is the way to go. Total cost: maybe $800 new.

Reaction score
I cant believe people like the Kc amps... esp with some of the really nice instruments you have. I have tried in vain to get a keyboard amp to at least match the quality of a monitor wedge and I cant find one that even comes close.

Reaction score
In most case i dont want to carry a P.A or pay $1500-$2000 just to play 2 or 3 keyboards!

For under a $1000 i think the Yamaha StagePas500 & Roland KC-880 are very good stereo amp.

kc-550 is ok for a mid price mono amp but not for me.
No keyboard amp or small P.A. under $800 sounds very good just ok and some time not ok!

If a band have a bass player u don't need a keyboard play with a bass amp. u can hookup 1 keyboard roll off on low end and play a keyboard and good ok. but not 3 keyboard/mic.

Reaction score
I use a Yamaha StagePas 250 (i.e. half of a StagePas 500 PA system) - volume output could be a little louder IMO, but the sound quality's fine.

Thats why i said StagePas500 u dont worry about volume output plus stereo output 250/250 watts. Very easy to carry 2 gigs

Reaction score
I cant believe people like the Kc amps... esp with some of the really nice instruments you have. I have tried in vain to get a keyboard amp to at least match the quality of a monitor wedge and I cant find one that even comes close.

Have u tried the KC-880? In many cases a good high end keyboard amp sounds better than a mono monitor wedge!
What monitor wedge? What Amp,Mixer,EQ?

Reaction score
I have a Traynor Keyboard Amp. I bought it when i was downsizing from the "PA" syle amp and speakers (mackie 880 and JBL's).
It has performed well and gives me the volume needed to cut through an 8 piece band. The price has risen significantly since I bought mine.

Reaction score
I have a Yamaha CP-50 and a Roland VR-09. I have used the Roland KC-550 and thought it was flat and unimpressive. I have used a mixer and a QSC-12 and it sounded pretty good. I also used Yorkville, Traynor and a couple of others which are in the same league as the Roland KC-550 in my experience.

My favorite amp-speaker, and I drove 300 miles to buy it, is a Fender KSA-100 100-Watt 3-ch amplifier. I use that and a personal mixer. I send keyboards via 1-channel to the Fender and then another 2-ch to the main soundboard for the band. I also get a monitor cable back from the main soundboard for custom mix.

This Fender is the best keyboard sound for practice, friendly get-together at a pub, or big stage sound as a monitor. Nothing has ever come close to this Fender for me. When I get old and die, they'll have to pry my Fender from my cold dead fingers (or bury me with it). I don't think they make this any more. What a shame! Mine had been boxed, never played and stored in an attic for about 25 years. Just like new. The sound is FAT and it covers all of the frequencies I need at the volume I need.

Wes

Reaction score
Does your band have a PA, or are you guys driving your sound from the stage?

My next "keyboard amp" is almost certainly going to be a light PA speaker with a class D amp rated around 300W RMS, that can be used as a wedge -- e.g. Behringer B215D. I'm playing through a Crate KX-80 keyboard amp right now. It sounds fine, but it's too heavy and a bit underpowered. If you need multiple inputs, you can add a small rackmount mixer pretty easily. If I had a larger budget, I'd probably go with a JBL PRX-512M. I want something little that can crank out the bass.

I also agree with Scott, bass amps make great keyboard amps. You can never have too much headroom.

Ask a Question