The USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned...HELP!!!

Reaction score
I bought an M-AUDIO KEYSTATION 49e at the Flea Market...(hope it works)
When I connect the keyboard to my PC a window pops up that reads...
(One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it.
Could the USB cord be the problem? (that I got at the Flea Market as well)?
Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks for taking the time to read this.

Reaction score
How To Find Rare Drivers

This sounds more like that device requires an unusual USB driver for your system. After years of having to find unique drivers for 2nd and 3rd hand "toys", I came up with a solution, though rather convoluted, will usually dump you out at the exact place you need to download the driver from.

If in Windows (98, XP, etc.) go to Start> Settings > Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager

(Or the shortcut, Windows-Key + Pause/Break, then to Hardware > Device Manager)

Scroll down to your unknown device.

Right-click on it and select Properties.

Go to the Details panel and then from the drop-down menu on top, select any of those that might display cryptic Device ID strings. The part after the 2nd-to-last or last "\" character usually being the most pertinent part. It might look something like "VID_05E&PID_0605\5&1DE15313&0&4".

Put that string into a Google search, INCLUDING THE ENCLOSING QUOTES.

It'll usually give you a direct-hit to the driver you require, even if that driver might not have anything even remotely to do with the kind of device that you have plugged in. This surprisingly works most every time. If not, take more of that string, or try the other Device/Hardware ID strings until you get a hit on one that works.

Even my tech-savy head-of-tech-support friend for a major company didn't know this little "trick" I found to find unique and unusual drivers. I've had to bring up many 3rd hand discarded computers and add-ons (given to me) from the dead, trying to find their drivers for who-the-fu**-knows-all-what-cr*p-devices each one has unique to anything else on earth. I found a more dependable way.

Ask a Question