Yamaha Audio over USB on Windows PC

Reaction score
Hi All
I am thinking about buying a DGX660 and i was wondering how the Audio Over USB works with windows 10 64bit PCs.
For instance does the yamaha show up as another available audio output in windows once the Driver is installed and the Keyboard connected.
Would it possible to redirect audio from say Flowkey or Youtube over usb to the DGX 660 to play along with or this an apple/mac only thing?
I would be surprised if this were not possible but I dont want to part with my hard earned cash without being sure.
Is the Connection reliable and stable?
Although Im not going to be using any DAWs are yamahas windows friendly?
These are basic questions but the last time I used DAWs or MIDI was the early 90s and never over USB.

thanks
Ian

Last edited:
Reaction score
Not a reply (as that would be talking to myself..again) but another question.
Does MIDI over usb work when plugged into an android tablet again with Flowkey?

it must? since yamaha are giving Flowkey free for 3months with the keyboard!!

ta
ian

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I don't think the DGX-660 has a built-in USB audio interface (or "Audio Over USB").

It can read and write audio to its USB TO DEVICE port, meaning it can record audio on a connected USB flash drive and play back audio files from a flash drive.

But as far as I know it cannot transmit and receive audio data via its USB TO HOST port.

At least some of Yamaha's synths have that feature, such as the MOXF6/MOXF8 and MX49/MX61/MX88.

But I think the only keyboards with that feature are the PSR-E363/PSR-EW300, the PSR-E453/PSR/EW400, and the PSR-E463/PSR-EW410.

You can tell if a particular model has a built-in USB audio interface by looking at the Specs tab on the keyboard's product page at Yamaha's web site. If the model has Audio Over USB, then the line where "USB TO HOST" is listed (under "Connectivity") will say something like "44.1kHz, 16bit, stereo"; otherwise, it will simply say "Yes."

I haven't checked whether any of Yamaha's P-series digital pianos have Audio Over USB.

If you want an 88-note keyboard with weighted piano-style keys that has Audio Over USB, you'll probably need to get either an MX88 or a MOXF8.

Otherwise, if a 76-note keyboard with unweighted synth-style keys would be satisfactory, look at the PSR-EW300, PSR-EW400, or PSR-EW410.

And if a 61-note keyboard would be sufficient, look at the PSR-E363, PSR-E453, PSR-E463, MX61, or MOXF6.

Now, as to your actual questions...

Yes, if you get a keyboard that has a built-in USB audio interface, it will show up on the computer as an available audio source and audio output. The computer will be able to receive audio from the keyboard over USB, and you can have the computer send audio to the keyboard over USB.

In Windows 10, you can easily select the keyboard as the computer's audio output device by clicking on the little speaker icon in the system tray (or the right-hand corner of the task bar). A slider should pop up to let you adjust the volume of the audio, but listed just above the slider should be the audio output device. If multiple devices are available, you should see a downward-pointing arrowhead to the right of the current audio output device. Click on that and the list of currently-available devices should drop down. Just choose the Yamaha keyboard and-- if it is equipped with speakers-- the keyboard's speakers will play any audio that would otherwise go to the computer's speakers.

Of course, that's for the computer as a whole. You might still need to select the keyboard as the audio device in whatever apps you are running-- assuming they have settings that let you choose between different audio output devices. But in general, if an app is sending its audio output to the computer's speakers, then you can redirect it to the keyboard's speakers as described above.

The connection should be stable and reliable-- if the USB cable is in good shape, that is.

I'm afraid I can't answer your question about Android tablets. For one thing, Android tablets can vary greatly as far as what types of connections they can support, so it's conceivable you might not be able to connect a keyboard to your particular Android tablet via a USB cable.

Reaction score
Hi Guys
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my questions.

I checked out the manuals on the Yamaha site and as predicted the Audio over USB to Host support on the DGX660 was not stated.
But I am sure that I have seen on or read on Youtube or one of the forums that the P125, P255, P515 & DGX650/660 can do this. Possibly an undocumented feature? (maybe I have misunderstood what was said).
Does Yamaha only have one Driver set up for its USB Host. The Yamaha Steinberg driver which would be used with Cubase and could handle Audio Over USB.
If its not possible to do audio over USB I can always plug in an audio jack and in this case I would consider a Roland FP30 instead of a DGX660 or P125.

Has anyone actually looked or tried to get this Audio over Host USB to work on a DGX660 or P125/515?
Would it be worth taking this thread into an area of the forum more targeted to the keyboards mentioned or the MIDI / Software Forums?
Cheers
Ian

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I'm 99.99% certain that neither the DGX-650 nor the DGX-660 have "Audio Over USB." However, both of them do have USB audio recording and playback, so that must be what the people were talking about.

It looks like the P-255 also has USB audio recording and playback, but not "Audio Over USB."

The P-515 has USB audio recording and playback, as well as Bluetooth audio, but not "Audio Over USB."

It looks like the P-125 doesn't have any of that.

Note that I'm not trying to talk you out of buying a DGX-660 if you want one. I simply don't want you to buy it expecting that it can do things that it can't.

I don't know whether anyone here has a DGX-660 and can chime in, but you could always check over at the PSR Tutorial Forum, as there are a few people there who have a DGX-660.

Reaction score
OK SGG thanks for that I will try to work out where I got that "Audio over USB to Host" would work for these keyboards and investigate further.
Ian

Reaction score
Hi I Have just taken this quote from a page at Yamaha (https://usa.yamaha.com/news_events/...piano_to_new_heights_at_summer_namm_2018.html)

"Via the USB-to-host connection on the P-515, musicians can record both MIDI and audio directly to their computer DAW software of choice, with no external audio interface necessary. This makes it an ideal choice for songwriters who want quick, piano-driven inspiration but also plan to fine-tune captured ideas in a DAW."

Ian

Reaction score
Also Found this review on You Tube

(
)

Where the reviewer states (at 17mins onwards) that Audio over USB host is possible on the P515 and also to his surprise on the P125.

Cheers
Ian

Reaction score
Reaction score
Page 24 of the p125 manual explains how to do audio over usb host with the steinberg driver on a pc or mac.
So really need to find out if it will work on dgx660

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
If the P-515 has this, then I'm surprised the specs on their web site don't reflect that. I'll have to study its manuals to see what they say about it.

I'm also very surprised at any suggestions that the DGX-660 can send and receive "live" audio signals over its USB TO HOST connection, because as best as I can recall the DGX-660 owners I've heard from have indicated that it has no "built-in USB audio interface" (as I call it). I strongly recommend that you speak with people who have owned a DGX-660 long enough to be familiar with its abilities and limitations-- especially owners who are "power users" or who dig deeply into their instruments to master them.

Reaction score
Thanks again for looking at this micheal.
I saw you were invovled in another thread with a dgx660 owner who had tried and failed to get this to work.
A bit of deja vu for you.
And me flogging a dead horse
Cheers
Ian

Reaction score
Ian

Do you have any Music Stores near you where you could go and try/discuss what you are seeking with the sales team?

If not then if the feature is as important to you as it seems they why not seek out a different keyboard?

Both my keyboards can play audio files if I want to play along with them, it is so easy and simple to select and start especially with my Arranger.

Reaction score
Hi Biggles
The Nearest to me would be Newcastle on Tyne or York both about an hour away.
I am going to go after new year and have a look at few.
Cheers
Ian

Reaction score
PMT have a store in Geordieland, I go into their huge Salford store from time to time and the staff are very helpful.

I see that Gear4Music have a store in York, take care if you deal with them I have had a couple of issues with them.

Good luck with your visits

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Well, I guess the P-515 has a built-in USB audio interface, because the Owner's Manual definitely says it does. But I'm not very impressed with the manuals and the information on the web site, because it almost seems incomplete, or else just poorly written. For example, both the Owner's Manual and the MIDI Reference mention a Data List that's supposed to be available online, but no such document seems to exist for the P-515.

Anyway, certain features of the P-515 compare less favorably with the DGX-660, such as the panel controls, LCD screen display, and inability to play Yamaha style files. Yet other features of the P-515 far surpass the DGX-660. All in all, I think I'd probably prefer the P-515 over the DGX-660-- except it costs about twice as much.

Reaction score
I don't think the DGX-660 has a built-in USB audio interface (or "Audio Over USB").

You can tell if a particular model has a built-in USB audio interface by looking at the Specs tab on the keyboard's product page at Yamaha's web site. If the model has Audio Over USB, then the line where "USB TO HOST" is listed (under "Connectivity") will say something like "44.1kHz, 16bit, stereo"; otherwise, it will simply say "Yes."

Thank you! I've been searching for months for this answer. I have a CVP-305 digital piano, and the specs I have (no longer on the website) say "YES" for USB to Host. I guess that means it doesn't have a built-in audio interface :(

Now I need to understand if I can instead use the midi ports as audio-in from iphone to the piano. If you happen to have these details, I'd much appreciate your sharing.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
You cannot use a MIDI connection to send or receive audio signals.

Some keyboards have one or more audio input jacks, and/or an auxiliary input jack, but the only thing of that nature that I see in the manual is a jack for connecting a microphone. I don't know whether you can use that for feeding in an audio signal from your iPhone, but I suppose you could try it; see pages 52 and 160 of the manual. Aside from the issue of the strength of the audio input signal, a microphone's signal is monophonic, whereas an auxiliary signal would be stereo. I wouldn't recommend trying it without getting advice from someone with a lot more practical experience with such things than I have, because you wouldn't want to damage the keyboard.

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. Maybe it will be helpful to explain what I'm trying to accomplish. I want to use my phone to supply the digital sound configuration, but I'd like my keyboard presses to trigger that sound. Ideally I'd like to combine that configured sound (voice?) along with the piano voice already built into the digital piano. When I plug my phone into USB to Host on my other keyboard (PSR-E363), the keypresses make the sound that is programmed into my iphone, but the output is from the keyboard speakers (I've found out that keyboard has built-in audio interface). However trying the same on my CVP-305 results in sound coming out my iPhone.

I do pass the output of the digital piano to both piano speakers and a sound system, so some other cable configuration may be possible, but it's just more helpful to have it pass through the piano speakers on the way to the auditorium's sound system. I hope this makes sense. I'm very grateful for your assistance.

Ask a Question