The value of an Elepian Keyboard.

Reaction score
Hi folks,

My wife is looking to sell her Elepian EP-102. No idea how old this guy is, but it looks pretty much on the old school side. I would be very grateful for any idea on pricing. Or at least if this is a sought after item, or not so much. I don't want to overcharge either.

Much appreciated.

Attachments

• 2015-02-21 10.36.11.jpg
    2015-02-21 10.36.11.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 1,673

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
From what I can see the Columbia Elepian EP 102 was manufactured between 1984 and 1988. Also judging by the photo it's capable of a handful of voicings with minimal effects.

I can't even find a youtube of what it sounds like but judging by the cheezy woodgrain veneered cabinet it was mainly designed for home use rather than pro onstage use.

Does it have built in speakers? How many voices? How much polyphony? Any built in effects? Does it have standard line out jacks?

My best possible guess at a value for the unit in good condition is anywhere between $20 at a yard sale to $150 to some drug crazed collector on Ebay.

While it certainly is rare, without knowing what it's capable of I'd hazard to say that what you have there is pretty much a worthless boat anchor on today's market.

But like I said, some mad scientist hacker type may think it's exactly what he needs.

If you could post a video of it in action it might be easier to guess at a price for it.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
From what I can see the Columbia Elepian EP 102 was manufactured between 1984 and 1988. Also judging by the photo it's capable of a handful of voicings with minimal effects.

I can't even find a youtube of what it sounds like but judging by the cheezy woodgrain veneered cabinet it was mainly designed for home use rather than pro onstage use.

Does it have built in speakers? How many voices? How much polyphony? Any built in effects? Does it have standard line out jacks?

My best possible guess at a value for the unit in good condition is anywhere between $20 at a yard sale to $150 to some drug crazed collector on Ebay.

While it certainly is rare, without knowing what it's capable of I'd hazard to say that what you have there is pretty much a worthless boat anchor on today's market.

But like I said, some mad scientist hacker type may think it's exactly what he needs.

If you could post a video of it in action it might be easier to guess at a price for it.

Gary ;)

Hi Gary,

Thanks so much for taking the time to get back. Got a kick out of the drug crazed ebay collector. I should note, as if was not obvious already, I am far from a musician of any sort. This thing can do at least five notes polyphonically. Other than a rhythm machine, and a harpsichord, that's about it on effects. It does have line outputs, as well as built in speakers. It is also velocity sensing, and for what little I know, feels a lot better than the cheaper synths I have touched.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Below is a video with a sample of the sound.

Reaction score
Nope. Just two piano voices and two harpsichords. The piano sounds pretty good, but the harpsichord, not so much.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'd say try putting it on craigslist for $175 and successively lower the asking price every few weeks until it sells.

Don't be surprised though if it ends up selling for $50-$75

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I tried to post this last night, but I'm visiting at my parents' and my dad's internet is (still) giving me grief, so apparently it didn't go through. Either that, or the problem was "operator error"! ;) Hopefully it will go through this time...

Here's an old eBay listing for one that went for $40, although it had only one bid, so that price might be on the low side:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ELEPIAN-MINI-EP-102-PIANO-SYNTH-KEYBOARD-JAPAN-/320826527472

But then there is this listing from Canada asking for $500:

http://toronto.canadianlisted.com/m...tric-pianos-from-the-70s-500-gta_3232474.html

I guess you could split the difference, ask for $270, and see if it sells-- then if it doesn't, start reducing the asking price by $20 to $40 every so often until it sells, but set a minimum that you won't go below.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The Canadian listing is for a Model 713 which is a full piece of furniture with a Wurlitzer Tuning Fork EP design, unlike the 102 which is a tabletop model and probably uses some sort of simple electronic synthesis.

To be honest I really can't see this thing selling for more than $150 and then only if a particular buyer is specifically looking for it.

Gary

PS... Maybe it's just time to give it to your grandkids and let them develop their talent for music :D

Last edited:

Ask a Question