The Variety Of Korg Acoustic Piano Samples

Reaction score
Hey Korg guys. I am very curious about the many available acoustic piano samples that have been installed on the M3, Triton Series, X-2, M50, Karma and Trinity Series. Are there similarities and above average quality available on some and not others? I know that the M3 is a sampling keyboard, but does the M50 have basically the same acoustic piano banks as the M3 and Tritons?

How about comparisons of the acoustic piano samples on the M50 compared in quality and realism to Kurzweil, Roland, Yamaha, Nord, the new Casio Privias?

Most of us keyboard players who buy and use stage pianos and workstations start judging the keyboard first, usually how the acoustic piano banks sound in mono and stereo and the hammer key bed action. I know the M50 and some Yamaha keyboards have acoustic pianos for mono if you are only running one keyboard amp on the gig.

Personally I like the M50 piano banks, but opinions vary from other users on likes, comparisons and dislikes to the sound.

Curious what you all think about Korg Piano samples and how they match up to the other leading keyboards on the market. Thanks

katt

Reaction score
A while back I had the Trinity, now I have the M3 and i can say that the overall Korg's piano sound have improved - a lot.

But still, compared to Yamaha they sound terrible to me. They can be tweaked to
sound decent but I was always a Yamaha fan when it comes to piano sound.

I had the motif ES for a year-or-so, and now I own the CP33, and it blows the M3 pianos
away - especially when it comes to playing live and cutting through the overall band sound.

Roland pianos (fantoms and RD series) sound good too - but they are a bit too dry for my
taste - i like having a decent amount of reverb on them.

In the end it all comes down to personal preferences. Don't judge a keyboard by what someone says.
Go to the store and try it out... then go to another store and try the other brand. Every keyboard has its pros and cons

Oh... about the samples. M50 is not a sampler - so you're stuck with the sounds that are already in there.
You cannot load new samples in the keyboard as you can on the M3

Reaction score
Oh... about the samples. M50 is not a sampler - so you're stuck with the sounds that are already in there.

I just had to point out that even though the M50 is not a sampler, you're NOT stuck with the preset sounds. You can still create your very own sounds from scratch, and you can download sounds that others have made on various websites. So sampling is far from the only way to get new sounds to your keyboard.

Reaction score
I just had to point out that even though the M50 is not a sampler, you're NOT stuck with the preset sounds. You can still create your very own sounds from scratch, and you can download sounds that others have made on various websites. So sampling is far from the only way to get new sounds to your keyboard.

Sorry, I was talking about the SAMPLES. Editing sounds is a basic feature of every workstation.

You create "new" sounds by editing the same SAMPLES that are already in the m50.
You cannot load new samples.

Reaction score
Sorry, I was talking about the SAMPLES. Editing sounds is a basic feature of every workstation.

You create "new" sounds by editing the same SAMPLES that are already in the m50.
You cannot load new samples.

Well, I just wanted to clarify, so that katt didn't think that you're entirely stuck with only the factory-made presets on the M50 (like you are on most Stage Pianos, or cheaper keyboards). :)

Reaction score
Acoustic Piano

A while back I had the Trinity, now I have the M3 and i can say that the overall Korg's piano sound have improved - a lot.

But still, compared to Yamaha they sound terrible to me. They can be tweaked to
sound decent but I was always a Yamaha fan when it comes to piano sound.

I had the motif ES for a year-or-so, and now I own the CP33, and it blows the M3 pianos
away - especially when it comes to playing live and cutting through the overall band sound.

Roland pianos (fantoms and RD series) sound good too - but they are a bit too dry for my
taste - i like having a decent amount of reverb on them.

In the end it all comes down to personal preferences. Don't judge a keyboard by what someone says.
Go to the store and try it out... then go to another store and try the other brand. Every keyboard has its pros and cons

Hey. Thanks for the response. I already knew that the M50 was not a sampling keyboard when I bought it and really have no interest in sampling. And of course the M3 being one of Korg's top of the line sampling boards, the cost is about double of an M50 88.

I tend to agree that Yamaha acoustic piano sampling for the most part are quite good, especially the CP300, but it weighs about 75 lbs+ I think, so not real practical for transporting to gigs.

Right now I am considering NI Alicia's Keys for a good basic VI software to run with the M50 and my Macbook. Overall, I am satisfied with the M50 acoustic piano samples on board. My only wish that Korg might have included with the M50 was a way to upgrade with sound cards, but at a price for a workstation with so many cool features and sounds the m50 offers, I guess they had to make some adjustments to keep the price below $2k.

katt

Reaction score
Hey. Thanks for the response. I already knew that the M50 was not a sampling keyboard when I bought it and really have no interest in sampling. And of course the M3 being one of Korg's top of the line sampling boards, the cost is about double of an M50 88.

I tend to agree that Yamaha acoustic piano sampling for the most part are quite good, especially the CP300, but it weighs about 75 lbs+ I think, so not real practical for transporting to gigs.

Right now I am considering NI Alicia's Keys for a good basic VI software to run with the M50 and my Macbook. Overall, I am satisfied with the M50 acoustic piano samples on board. My only wish that Korg might have included with the M50 was a way to upgrade with sound cards, but at a price for a workstation with so many cool features and sounds the m50 offers, I guess they had to make some adjustments to keep the price below $2k.

katt

There's the CP33. Same sounds as the CP300, but no deep sound editing.
I own one and it's almost the same weight as my M3-61

Ask a Question