Noob questions regarding DAW and drums sequencer for new Roland Fantom 8

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am mostly a pianist with some synth/workstation experience but have never used a DAW.

I am contemplating purchasing the Fantom 8 and will try a few trial DAWS; please note that I only have a PC, not a Mac and will be solely using this In my home studio, not to gig. I realize the Fantom is pretty much set up for Logic Pro and Mainstage which won’t apply to me since I use a PC.

I read that the sequencer only allows drum creations in 3/4 and 4/4 is that correct? Can I create my own drum patterns in different time signatures?

Also, how difficult will it be to connect to other DAWs such as Reaper, Cakewalk and Ableton? Once I am connected to a DAW I can then use whatever drum time signature I choose correct?

Thanks and sorry for the dumb/noob questions!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You're very welcome.

Also be sure and check Youtube for video tutorials. The programmers have done a lot of tutorial videos about their products to give a general overview of features and methods.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Further to Gary’s suggestion Roland have some great video tutorials and there are 29 just for the Fantom.

This link will take you to the homepage of the Playlist for the Fantom tutorials.

You may also want to check out Ed Diaz, he is the guy who does most of Roland’s tutorials, he is worth befriending on Facebook as he posts some great links and tips for all the kit he supports.

I have had a play a few times with the FA and was impressed with the inbuilt Sequencer, the one in the Fantom should be even more capable so do check that out.

Good luck

Ask a Question