Fp8 volume troubles

Reaction score
No volume from left side monitor speakers although headphones and line outs work. See Pics: Removed main board and found black substance from capacitor leads pictured to reveal copper color you can see. I think it is c46. Unit used for maybe 20 hours from new. Bought for wife in 92 and well...... stored in box under bed. Is new capacitor needed or should is it safe to plug back in and see if that cleaning works?

Attachments

• DSC_8879.JPG
    DSC_8879.JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 201
  • DSC_8880.JPG
    DSC_8880.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 180

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Looks to me like both capacitors may be leaking.

Also surprising to see SMD technology on a vintage 92 board.

Are you equipped to repair a Surface Mount board?

Gary ;)

Reaction score
you have an alternative solution: since your headphone jack works, plug the headphone out into a pair of these altec's:

http://alteclansing.com/product/mini-h20-3/

Might be a cheaper alternative than a repair of the keyboard. Those H20's are quite loud and no bigger than a cigarette pack. I own one and use it for bluetooth. Just lay a speaker on each side of your keyboard. Search around, they can be purchased for under $20/each. I got mine for $15 new at a store like Walgreens.

Reaction score
Looks to me like both capacitors may be leaking.

Also surprising to see SMD technology on a vintage 92 board.

Are you equipped to repair a Surface Mount board?

Gary ;)
Well I was able to remove it and have solder guns. Searching for capacitors now. Am I equiped? Jack of all trades master of a couple.

Reaction score
you have an alternative solution: since your headphone jack works, plug the headphone out into a pair of these altec's:

http://alteclansing.com/product/mini-h20-3/

Might be a cheaper alternative than a repair of the keyboard. Those H20's are quite loud and no bigger than a cigarette pack. I own one and use it for bluetooth. Just lay a speaker on each side of your keyboard. Search around, they can be purchased for under $20/each. I got mine for $15 new at a store like Walgreens.
Yeah, i'll keep in mind. Trying to fix to sell. Had them sold but took my wifes word they worked. They do but for this problem. I can fix a guitar but cannot tune a fish or keyboard.

Ask a Question