Registration mystery Tyros 1

Reaction score
Recently moved house, and I know for sure that the removal of my Tyros was done with extreme care, as it was done by myself in our car.
So, on getting it all up and running again, I'm confused to find that my Registration folder is not reading from the Tyros internal hard drive.

Zilch, nothing..... When I press Registrations as normal I'm just getting a greyed out folder called P1 (page 1).
I removed the whole folder, and reinstalled it from my back up. Still nothing. Did the same again with my second back up. Still nothing.

All the files are. RGT, so Reg 01.rgt /Reg02. RGT and so on, and we're all fine prior to moving.

Totally baffled..... Can anyone suggest a reason, or even better a solution?
Thank you...

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
You might try running the test program to make sure everything is okay. See pages 65 - 70 of the Service Manual:

Even if you moved it yourself in your car, it's hard to keep it from getting shaken by bumps in the road, etc.

Reaction score
Thanks very much boss. I'll look at that later on.
We actually wrapped the keyboard in 2x15tog duvets, and 2 of us put it in, and took it out of our car, on a 12 mile move. But I take your point.....
I think some of our previous neighbours thought we were shifting a body!
BIG thanks as always. You're a lifeline to us older amateur players.

I'll post once I've sorted it.... Hope I don't have to get my chequebook out for a Tyros 5....

Reaction score
I have now identified the issue. A replacement hard drive is now ordered, as after testing it seems that there are a number of bad sectors on the existing one which are not responding to disc repair.
Thank you I'll have it all back to good health very soon.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Well, I'm sorry to hear that the drive has bad sectors, but happy to hear that you discovered the problem and can replace the drive! Drives do go bad on their own, so it's even possible it had nothing to do with the move.

Reaction score
Thanks again. I decided to put just a few registrations onto a floppy disc and they read without any problem. So I knew that the Tyros itself wasn't the issue.
Then I ran the hard drive through an analysis software program and it was picking up quite a few areas that weren't able to be either read or written to, and wouldn't allow reading of the sectors where the reg data was held.
I've ordered a new Seagate drive, and will put back my known working files from my back up hard disc on the PC when I have received it.
Thank you

Reaction score
I thought I'd wrapped this post up, but the outcome was fine once I'd replaced the Hard Drive.
The HD is so well secured in the frame of the keyboard, so I just don't accept it could have moved in any way.
I think perhaps just Sods Law at work.... Anyway, up and playing again which is all that matters.

Ask a Question