Weight.

Reaction score
Stroke in Nov played heck with my left side and balance. Can’t lift my Yamaha S-775. Like to attend few Jams. Appreciate suggstions for something lighter weight. Like good piano, strings and few Rhythms. Limited to use of one finger on left hand. Live on Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia. Canada. 84 years old, playing since I was 14. Thanks for j help. Cal LeDrew.

Reaction score
Casio CT-S500, tiny and weighs less than 11 lbs. Tweak the effects and with the right amp it will sound great. Frankly, for anyone not used to playing 3-note chords, the chord recognition system is better (easier) than Yamaha's!

Good luck, and I hope you get back in the game!!

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
1717791262863.png

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Howabout an Arturia Keystep Pro and some virtual instruments on a tablet or iphone?

It has a 4 track sequencer you can program with a few finger presses.

Would weigh in about 5 lbs total.

Reaction score
The GO:Keys 5 is indeed small and light; IMO it's much more capable than the original GO:Keys. However... If Cal is expecting to play it like an arranger, he should be aware that currently it lacks a provision for "Sync Stop," i.e., there's no way to automatically pause the accompaniment when you release the keys.

This feature is essential to my playing style. Most all other arrangers and entertainer keyboards, even entry-level ones, have it. I actually went to the Roland Support website and requested that sync stop be added in a future OS update. If Roland follows through, the GO:Keys would be one of my favorite compact entry-level boards.

Reaction score
The GO:Keys 5 is indeed small and light; IMO it's much more capable than the original GO:Keys. However... If Cal is expecting to play it like an arranger, he should be aware that currently it lacks a provision for "Sync Stop," i.e., there's no way to automatically pause the accompaniment when you release the keys.

This feature is essential to my playing style. Most all other arrangers and entertainer keyboards, even entry-level ones, have it. I actually went to the Roland Support website and requested that sync stop be added in a future OS update. If Roland follows through, the GO:Keys would be one of my favorite compact entry-level boards.
Easily sorted, slide down the volume

Reaction score
I'm sorry but the volume workaround wouldn't be easy to do consistently, in real time. Stopping the accompaniment manually with a foot pedal would be a better solution, but not something I would want to do every few measures.

One weakness of arrangers is that once you've activated the accompaniment it goes on relentlessly. It can make music sound, "arrangerish." Sync stop is great for dramatic pauses. It emphasizes the fact that you are producing "live" inputs (i.e., playing), and not just running a sequenced backing track. Some arrangers have a "break/fill" that could be used for this purpose. I can't remember if the GO:Keys has one.

Activating sync stop is also a great workaround for pieces that have a change in the time signature- another inconvenient truth that robotic arranger accompaniments don't deal with very well. Of course the Sync Stop trick only works with styles that lack a strong rhythm, such as Yamaha's "free play" styles and Casio's "string quartet." These coincidentally are great for traditional worship music.

I've been playing arrangers for a long time, going all the way back to home organ days. I consider sync stop an essential feature, and what's more, it shouldn't have been dropped in the first place. The board has (a somewhat poor implementation of) sync start; it seems like a no-brainer to add the complementary function.

I know that Roland Europe folded about a decade ago, and Roland's last full-featured arranger, the E-A7 was developed in Japan. I'm not sure if the same team is working on the GO:Keys 5 but it has many arranger-like features. Even before the demise of Roland Europe, Roland had a bad habit of dropping some features and adding others in the change-over from one model to the next.

I'm not willing to overlook the lack of sync stop so easily, and without it IMO the Casio CT-S500 is a better arranger in this price and weight class.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The OP hasn't responded since he posted on Friday so I think we can all quit the sales pitch for now.

Reaction score
I'm not selling anything. But if someone else stumbles across this thread as the result of a Google search, they should be aware of the facts. The GO:KEYS 5 is a very recent relase, and possibly subject to further development. Personally I hope it does gain the missing features in a future OS update. I would encourage any prospective buyer to download and read the manuals, and if possible try the competing models in a store.

Reaction score
The Op is not clear on the features, has only quoted Rhythms and not full arranger features.

If it is drum patterns then a Korg Kross 2 at 8lbs plus a Boss Katana Mini amp at 1lb fit the weight criteria with the bonus that both will work on batteries.

This will sound vastly superior to any Casio.

Reaction score
I used to have a Korg Kross - the best features were:
  • Weight - 10 lbs
  • Carrying handle
Now I'm using a Yamaha CK71. 11 pounds and no handle. But I like the sounds better.

Ask a Question