What are you playing?

Reaction score
We are learning some throwaway Celtic type tunes for St Paddys day show. Also working on Come On Eileen which is a bit of a beast. Last part I learned on keys was the bassline for Holiday - leaving the bass player to play cowbell LOL!

Reaction score
We are learning some throwaway Celtic type tunes for St Paddys day show. Also working on Come On Eileen which is a bit of a beast. Last part I learned on keys was the bassline for Holiday - leaving the bass player to play cowbell LOL!

COME ON EILEEN!
...hate that song. Played it twice a week for the last 3 years.

But yes, it’s a total beast, especially if you play both the piano and violin parts at the same time. But it was the audition song for the band I play in, and I couldn’t think of a better audition tune:

A) can you play lead and chords in totally different patches and rhythms at the same time (fast syncopated piano vs totally straight fiddle)?
B) are you willing to play really terrible material?

For St Paddy’s we’re having a fiddle player join us so all I have to worry about is piano. Ironically, I’m finding it very hard to just play the piano part after so many hundred times playing both lines.

Someday when I finally integrate my Seaboard into my working setup, I’ll play the fiddle part on that, which will be a total nightmare but it’ll sound good.

Reaction score
Lucky (?) for me I mainly "just" have to sing it. I am doing the two piano runs. The main keyboard guy is handling the heavy lifting.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I thought I might have a crack at "Oh Darling" by The Beatles.
In the key of C makes it easy.
I had a little dabble with it yesterday.
But it is 12/4 time:eek: What the....!

I can't find a suitable backing accmp in my keyboard. So I need to comprimise. What other tunes use this time signature? Is there a suitable subsitute timing I could use? Suggestions?

Ray

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Ray, use a slow 6/8. Will work fine.
Yes!
It does!
Thanks heaps Paul
I have a few 6/8 variations and I am trying them all.

Of couse you know it is a melody right hand I am playing as substitute for the vocal. As Paul sings it, the music is tacit or just a rhythm backing . . In my case his words are actually the notes I play.
Does that make sense? So I am playing the words as an instrumental . .
"Oh" is A ... C (linked ) and "Dar" is C and "ling" is G.
When Paul sings it, the music is just backing. His voice is the melody.

I have got it sounding pretty good now. So much better than my voice hey! Trying out some more variations.
Thanks for the 6/8 clue Paul.

Cheers ray

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Paul @CowboyNQ has given me great advice off line and I have "oh darling" down pat. Thanks heaps Paul!

So now I am playing "Sleep Walk" using the steel slide guitar with harmony.

Sounds amazing!

Ray . . Love Music / Love Life

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
As we spend more time at home . .
More time to learn new tunes.
My latest challenge . . Andrew Lloyd Webber's . . The Phantom of the Opera.
It changes key a few times making it a little tricky to play. But I love the challenge.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Next . . on my wish list to play . . but I don't have the music yet. I am looking for a Fake version.
"Amigos Para Siempre"
This was the tune sung by Sarah Brightman and Jose Carreros (spelling?) at the 1992 Olympics.

Awesome tune.

The positive side of a lockdown . .more music time.

Ask a Question