What stage piano?

Reaction score
GigMan,

I have an S90es too, its my main board but it is incredibly heavy, I actually just recently bought a fantom 76key to use as my main for smaller gigs and i just leave the S90es at my my main gig. and of course i just bring the motif with me for bells and whistles!

Reaction score
GigMan,

I have an S90es too, its my main board but it is incredibly heavy, I actually just recently bought a fantom 76key to use as my main for smaller gigs and i just leave the S90es at my my main gig. and of course i just bring the motif with me for bells and whistles!

Ha - glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks the S90ES is a HUGE bit of gear to drag around... :eek:

But do you use a Motif AND the S90ES on the same gigs?? Seems redundant... or are you saying that on gigs where you have your Fantom instead of the S90ES you pair it up w/a Motif and therefore get the same sounds?

I have a Korg Triton Le that is a nice compliment to the S90ES's sounds... :cool:

Reaction score
I always found a bit redundand if/when someone has 2 boards of the same brand - especially of the same type/age.

S90ES is basically the motif ES - just a bit more piano oriented.

If you already have a stage piano type of keyboard, and you're thinking of expanding your rig,
i'd strongly recommend something in mid-range workstations from some other brand.

M50 from korg, or the MO6 from yamaha are brilliant keyboards, with great sounds,
and very easy to carry around. No sampling option, but still - great keyboards

Reaction score
I do use the motif with the s90es, i know its redundant but sometimes i need to be playing both at the same time. I had a M50 and i was not very pleased with it. i have been considering getting either a triton or a nord electro. or if i find a great price on it maybe an M3.

90% of the time i just have the motif there to use an organ.

Reaction score
I do use the motif with the s90es, i know its redundant but sometimes i need to be playing both at the same time. I had a M50 and i was not very pleased with it. i have been considering getting either a triton or a nord electro. or if i find a great price on it maybe an M3.

90% of the time i just have the motif there to use an organ.

Why did you not like the M50?

Reaction score
Reaction score
My dad has a Casio PX330 - it's great. Good sounds, light weight, really nice. :cool:

I'm waiting for the new WK-7500 to come out in North America (Casio told me between mid-Jan and mid-Feb) and while it won't have piano quite as sweet as the PS-330 I'm hoping it might be close?! :)

Reaction score
Stage piano is designed for electronic piano keyboard on stage in live performances by professional musicians. Although the piano has the same stage some of the features of digital piano in the family use and electronic synthesizer, they have a characteristic number to separate them. Stage pianos usually provide a solid case, the sound small number. Stage than is usually the piano keyboard and synthesizer digital sound little choice. Instead of sound and vibration control in a complex high-end listing of hundreds of professional synthesizers, they are often only a few of the sound, usually acoustic piano.

Reaction score
Dgx-640

It's basically a cheap PSR with weighted keys.

The CP and the P series sound much much better

Please, would you be kind and elaborate somewhat on this?

We were thinking about a DGX640, but have also been looking at some Casio (WK-7500 and CP-220R).

What would be a better choice if the budget is maximum $1250 (8000:- Swedish Krona)... The P and CP series are a bit more expensive, and also seem to lack a lot of "normal" keyboard functions(?), they are more of stage pianos, as you call them? (I don't quite know the concept of stage piano).

The CP and P series for example seem to have less sounds... but that might be the nature of that series, less but better?

Hope you don't mind putting this question here?

Reaction score
Thank you Torbjörn!

It seems to be a nice piano, but perhaps too big... since we began looking at smaller sized keyboards... but the number of keys (5 octaves) made us look at some "broader" keyboards... and this is like a full size piano, and impossible to take with you, if you would like to :)
Also, the more piano-like the keybord is, you seem to loose the plentitude of sounds. But perhaps the ones that are there, are so much better..?
(I had never heard of the Thomann brand before, and it seems both competent and affordable!)

M.v.h. Andreas

Reaction score
Hej Andreas,

here is a stage piano which weighs 19,7 kg and has 88 keys and a drum and accompaniment section:

http://www.thomann.de/de/thomann_sp5100.htm

If you open this link you will find a button with a triangle on the right side under the piano picture; klick this button and you will see a video (tyvär in tysk).:)

The Yamaha DGX 640 has also 88 keys, a weight of 27,7 kg, a larger drum and accompany section and a lot of sounds but the price is double as high as the SP 5100. In reality you will need only 10 % of this sounds for the sort of
music your father will play.

http://www.thomann.de/de/yamaha_dgx640_c.htm?partner_id=0

The question is, what do you want: a real stage piano with no drum and accompany part or a lets say 76 keys keyboard, which in the middle class normally have very good piano sounds and a lot of other sounds like strings horns trumpets etc. and an accompany-part and mostly a recorder for your playing and sometimes also a special microphone input for to record also the singing.

mvh

Torbjörn

Ask a Question