What stage piano?

Reaction score
Hi everybody. I want to buy a new keyboard. I will use it in home but sometimes maybe I will transport the piano in the car so, if it has integrated support, it should dismount easy. I tried Yamaha CP-33, Roland 300GX and Yamaha DGX-640. I prefer the hammer key action of the roland rather than de yamaha cp33 because the yamaha is harder.

Give your opinions about dgx-640 and compare it to 300gx and cp33 about programs, options etc. I don't know much about this kind of stage pianos so if you could recomend me something else, remember that I'm looking for a piano cheaper than 1250 € (300gx), that it has soft and good touch action and obiously good sound.

Thanks

Reaction score
If you need a stage piano with onboard speakers try Yamaha's P series. I think the curent version is P155.

It should feel/sound like the CP33, but it's more home oriented.
Also there's a new CP lineup starting with CP50 which has new piano samples mixed with modeling - and it sounds great.

But if you liked the Roland so much - just go for it. Roland pianos sound nice too, and i wouldn't suggest the DGX.

Reaction score
I looked for p155. P155 is more sintetizer (more samples and sounds) than cp33. Isn't it?
What about the key hammer action of the p155? And anyone knows the main diferences (exclude speakers) between p155 and 300gx?
And why you dont suggest dgx?
Thanks

Reaction score
No, the P155 and the CP33 are almost exactly thesame (they even cost thesame).

The biggest difference is the onboard speakers and the wooden finish.

I think the hammer mechanics are thesame too. If not - they are very similar.

300gx has more sounds (the GM bank i think) then the P155.

DGX300 has 76 NON weighted keys. It's just plastic - not graded hammer

Reaction score
OK. Probably I will buy 300GX. But what about Yamaha DGX-640. Not DGX300. 640 has 88 keys and weighted keys but is more cheaper than the others. What is the difference between dgx640 and cp33 or P155?

Reaction score
It's basically a cheap PSR with weighted keys.

The CP and the P series sound mucn much better

Reaction score
Hi,
I don't want to confuse the issue but you maybe over looking a couple of models which may do the job.
I play the piano in school so need a piano that sounds great can be portable and has the feel of a real piano.
The one I use is a Roland FP4. It has the same feel as the RD300 But it has built in speakers so you can play at home without having to connect with other gear. Roland also make a matching stand for the FP4 so it looks nice in you home.
7d3e43fc2dbbd15b5cf887fce0d63575.jpg

Check it out on the roland web site.

The other model which I've used in the past is the Korg SP250 with is like the Roland and is very good as well.
images
Hope this was helpful.

Reaction score
Apart from speakers, What are the diferences between FP4 and 300GX ??
Is the 300GX much better than FP4 in sinthetizer options??
In FP4, can I split the piano in order to play an organ with the left hand and a piano with the right hand, and control the volume of each separately, for example??

Thanks

Reaction score
DELETED BY AUTHOR

It seems I made a mistake posting this here. I had no idea the keyboards you were talking about were so much more expensive than mine and I've no wish to offend anyone's sensibilities with an inferior instrument.

Sorry.

Reaction score
The FP4 and the RD300 spec's.
RD-300GX: Digital Stage Piano

A Powerful Piano for Stage Performance

Specs

Keyboard 88 keys (PHA alpha II Keyboard) Sound Generator Conforms to General MIDI 2 System
88-key Stereo Multi-sampled Piano Sound Part 16 Maximum Polyphony 128 voices Wave Memory 128 MB (16-bit linear equivalent) Tones Normal Tones: 110
General MIDI 2 Tones: 256
Rhythm Sets: 5
General MIDI 2 Rhythm Sets: 9 Setups 32 Effects Multi-Effects: 78 types
Reverb: 6 types
Sound Control
2-band Digital Equalizer SMF/Audio File Player File Format Standard MIDI File: format-0/1, Audio File: WAV, AIFF (44.1 kHz, 16-bit linear), MP3
*Audio File can be played with Audio Key Function. Connectors Output Jacks (L/MONO, R): 1/4 inch phone type, DAMPER Pedal, Control Pedal, MIDI (IN, OUT), USB (MIDI, Memory), Headphones Jack: Stereo 1/4 inch phone type, DC IN Jack Others Rhythm Pattern 200 patterns Display 16 characters, 2 lines (Backlit LCD) Controllers Zone Level slider x 3 (Assignable), Equalizer knobs, Pitch Bend/Modulation lever, Assignable Switches (S1, S2) Internal Memory 1M bytes Power Supply DC 9V (AC adaptor) Power Consumption 11 W Accessories Owner's Manual, Audio Key Utility 2 Quick Guide, CD-ROM (Audio Key Utility 2, SONAR LE), Damper Pedal, AC Adaptor, Power Cord Size and Weight Width 1,444 mm 56-7/8 inches Depth 336 mm 13-1/4 inches Height 134 mm 5-5/16 inches Weight 16.4 kg 36 lbs. 3 oz. *The specifications are subject to change without notice.

FP-4: Digital Portable Piano
Fits in Small Spaces yet Performs like a Concert Grand

Specs

Keyboard 88 keys PHA alpha II keyboard Touch Sensitivity Light, Medium, Heavy, Off (velocity adjustable) Sound Generator GM2 system / GS / XG lite compatible Max. Polyphony 128 voices Tones 333 tones + 9 Drum Sets Effects Reverb, Digital Effect (62 types), Sound Control (3 types), 4-band Digital Equalizer Session Partner Rhythm : 80 types x 2 variations, Chord Progression : Automatic or input with keyboard (User Programmable) Recorder Tracks : 3 tracks, Song : 1 song (Max. 99 songs to Internal Memory), Note Storage : Approx. 30000 notes, Tempo : Quarter note = 10 to 500, Resolution : 120 ticks per quarter note Registration To Internal Memory : 24 x MAX. 25 sets Internal Songs 65 Songs Demo Songs 8 Songs Rated Power Output 7 W x 2 Speakers 8 cm x 12cm x 2 Display 7 segments, 3 characters (LED) Connectors Output Jacks (L / Mono, R) : 1/ 4 inch phone type, Input Jacks (L / Mono, R) : 1/ 4 inch phone type, Headphone Jack x 2 : Stereo 1/ 4 inch phone type, USB (MIDI) Connector, MIDI Connectors (In, Out), Pedal Jacks (Damper, Soft *, Sostenuto*) * Assignable, DC In Jack, DC 9 V (AC Adaptor) Power Supply DC 9 V (AC Adaptor) Power Consumption 22W Accessories Owner’s Manual, AC Adaptor, Power Cord, Music Rest, 2 screws for the Music Rest, Pedal : DP-8 (available Half- damper) Size and Weight Width 1,342 mm 52-7/8 inches Depth 305 mm 12-1/16 inches Height 135 mm 5-3/8 inches Weight 15.3 kg 33 lbs. 12 oz. Size and Weight ( FP-4 with dedicated stand KSC-44 and music rest ) Width 1,342 mm 52-7/8 inches Depth 341 mm 13-7/16 inches Height 940 mm 37-1/16 inches Weight 26.8 kg 59 lbs. 2 oz. *The specifications are subject to change without notice.

The RD can play midi files and wav files so you can play along with backing tracks and sequances. But the FP has some tricks as well. It has a function called session play which has pro standard backing tracks that can be played in any key and works like a top end arranger keyboard.

Reaction score
Please don't take offense. Just trying to help!

Then might I suggest that you try to 'help' with a little more politeness in future? Poking fun at one's intstrument of choice isn't really very 'helpful' at all. Pointing out the benefits of one compared to another without denegraton (especially to someone who doesn't know you) might make your efforts more palatable.

Don't worry, I don't take offence easily but I also don't suffer rudeness gladly. It's never been the best way to start a conversation with a stranger.

I'm not a hugely experienced player and there's no point in bankrupting myself with an expensive instrument until I can do it some justice.

Besides (says she, with an attempt to introduce some levity), I'm willing to bet that the models you mentioned are also made of plastic. :p

Reaction score
the synthesis on the 300gx is much better than the fp4, and all around i believe that the 300gx is a much better keyboard, however here is another forum that discusses the differences, they tend to lean towards the fp4, i disagree.

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...orum/6/topic/005093/Number/0/site_id/1#import

I have a Roland RD300GX - nice instrument: good pianos, some nice EP's, strings are not bad, organs are OK not great... and clavinets and synth sounds and pads are decent. All around, a good bit of everything - decent action yet it's slim and lightweight. No built-in spkrs but otherwise a very nice piece of gear for someone in need of a good bunch of bread-and-butter sounds for different gigs (I play in a wedding band, bar bands and also pick up gigs of my own booking).

I bought the RD300GX about a month after buying a Yamaha S90ES (kept them both and still use both though never on the same gig). I love the S90ES and it has a REAL meaty, heavy-duty piano-like action that feels great under your fingers... but the 'board overall is frikkin' HUGE... very heavy and large to drag around so I got the RD300GX as a lightweight alternative to use on some gigs instead of the S90ES.

Main advantage of Roland's RD300GX over their FP4 is the display shows you the sound names instead of just numbers and it's fairly easy to call up sounds quickly, moreso than on the FP4 I believe.

Ask a Question