What to buy - advice please

Reaction score
There's probably a billion threads on this but I have some quite specific 'needs' if its possible to get all this in one keyboard. Little bit of background, ive played guitar on and off for about 15 years now, done a bit of 'home recording'. I have wanted to learn piano for a while now so thought I would take the plunge and look into it a bit more.

What I would LIKE to have in the keyboard is :-

61 keys or less due to limited space in room - full size and weighted would be nice too, i want it as authentic to a piano as possible, although given my budget not sure if this is a step too far on wants.
Its fine if it weighs more than normal, as i will not be gigging with it.

USB MIDI, as well as in built speakers for when im not using it through the computer (I emphasised the word like above as im not sure if this is even a double feature that keyboards have).

I dont need a bunch of different sounds and effects. My genre is very much stuck around rock and acoustic, but I wouldnt say no to it having a drum feature on it.

The recording/drum effect features would come second to the authentic piano sound, as my main reason for buying is the want to learn the instrument. Being able to use it for recordings would be an added bonus.

Budget would be anywhere up to £250.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
I couldnt find the Casio model you mentioned by I found a CTK 6200 which has 61 keys.
They both look like great options, think im leaning slightly more towards the Yamaha, the E343 would probably suffice for me too, not sure how much more beneficial the E433 is for my needs. (if im missing something please correct me)

Thanks very much for your advice. :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Sorry I mixed up the model numbers on the Casio. The CTK 6200 is correct. The WK 6500 and WK 7500 are the 76 key versions.

Any of those listed are your best bet in your price range.

I'd advise searching on the various model numbers on Google and Youtube and get a feel for how they sound and any known issues which you might find to be dealbreakers.

Also if you can find any local stores which carry them definitely go and give them a test drive in person. That should help you lock in your decision.

Gary

Reaction score
Youtube and reviews is pretty much what ive been doing recently haha. Most of the video reviews I am finding are in foreign languages which isnt great for me.

I have zero music shops near me (dont live on mainland UK) so videos and forum advice is the best im able to do for now.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If money is tight you might also want to look at your local craigslist.com and pennysaver newspaper to see what's floating around near you in the used market. You could get a nice upscale professional instrument used for about the same price as a new consumer keyboard like the Casios or the Yamahas.

Gary

Reaction score
Dont think we have either of those in the UK but thats a good idea thanks. Ill try ebay also. Money isnt tight perse, just think for the standard that ill be playing first off that its probably best if I put a cap on myself before I go OTT haha.
Im guessing that full keys which are also touch sensitive is quite important should I want to move onto a more advanced form, and the E343 seems to tick those boxes as well as the USB MIDI and drum kit feature which I would like.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
First off, Craigslist is EVERYWHERE. Here's the url for the UK London Page.

http://london.craigslist.co.uk/

Secondly, you have to ask yourself what your ultimate goals are with your keyboard.

Do you wish to learn piano style playing and ultimately acquire an electronic or acoustic piano, or are you more interested in learning synth or organ style keys.

Pretty much all keyboards above the $100 mark these days have velocity sensitive (touch sensitive) keys, but if you plan on learning proper piano then you need a full set of 88 or at least 76 velocity sensitive, weighted, graded, hammer action keys. Those don't come cheaply. The cheapest half decent electronic pianos from Casio or Yamaha still cost at least $500 new and most have a very small range of basic sounds to offer.

Should you be interested in learning true piano style playing on a full keyboard I'd recommend a Yamaha DGX series keyboard like the DGX 640.

Otherwise, if you are more concerned with having a large number of voices on a smaller 61 Key keyboard with synth style keys then the PSR e433 or PSR e343 should work splendidly for you.

Just realize that at this point you have to make a decision about what style of music and what instrument you are actually trying to learn.

Gary

Reaction score
Completely did not know craigslist was over this way, thanks!

Im not into synth or organ music at all, just wanted a bit of an all rounder for the needs that I mentioned above. Space is an issue so I would have to stick with the 61 keys first off. Thats why I thought your first two suggestions were good for me in that I can take the keyboard out onto a stand, and then fold it away into a corner when im not using it. I has to be a fold away stand at the moment as I dont have space for a piano to slot into on a full time basis.

But maybe I could seperate out my needs, get a 'better' piano for actually learning the instrument, then get a small midi keyboard to record drums and whatnot with my guitar.

Reaction score
Found a pretty good deal on the E343 so, as it hit the basics of what I need, i ordered that. Will hopefully be here by the end of the week so I can start getting my head around it! :)

Ask a Question