Buying Nord: a fellow guitarist really need your advices

Reaction score
Hi guys, I know *a lot* about guitars, but I dunno s**t about keyboards and I really really need some advices.

Here it is the problem. I am going to accomplish the dream of a lifetime: having my own rehearsal room. Such a luxury!
I want to equip it with a *resident* digital keyboard for start playing it a little but also with the purpose of having a good quality instrument that will do the job for future musicians coming to play with me.

I was considering buying something from Clavia Nord given that it seems they are the average good quality all purposes keyboards I see on stages. I mainly enjoy the organs and electric pianos sounds, but for sure some good acoustic piano sounds would be handy, and for sure some synths would not bother.
I am searching in the second hand market: can't afford to buy it new.
Tho I have many doubts.

First question: would you choose a waterfall or a weighted keyboard? What is more eclectic? Personally, since I am not a piano player I have more fun with waterfall (it feels "easier" for my not educated fingers), but maybe a true keyboardist would choose a hammer action (and adapt himself to play organs with that).

Second question: searching in the used market I see I could afford a stage 2 (no ex) or electro 4 or 3 (but no synth Lead sounds there, ofc). How big is the difference - *soundwise* - between those instruments and the latest generation (stage 3 and electro 5)? Demos doesn't help: one can't really perceive the difference from that. I guess only real experience can tell if the differences are marginal or not.
Thanks for your suggestions!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
When you say "would you choose a waterfall or a weighted keyboard," I think maybe you mean semi-weighted versus weighted hammer-action? "Waterfall" refers to keys with a certain shape-- the front edge of the key is smooth rather than having a "lip" that sticks out a tiny bit. Some keyboardists prefer waterfall keys so they can swipe the palms of their hands up or down the keyboard more easily. It really doesn't have anything to do with being weighted or just semi-weighted. On the other hand, I think that waterfall keys tend to be seen more on organs than on pianos or synths, so I suppose keyboards that have waterfall keys are usually semi-weighted.

I have no experience with Nord's instruments, so someone else will have to respond. But Nord is definitely a highly-respected manufacturer of keyboards. :)

Reaction score
When you say "would you choose a waterfall or a weighted keyboard," I think maybe you mean semi-weighted versus weighted hammer-action? "

Oh yes, yes. Forgive me. my bad. I was meaning that. I'll edit the post so to avoid further misunderstandings.

EDIT: oops, it seems like post can't be edited anymore. Oh well...

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

I would suggest that you do not single out Nord as the keyboard of choice for you just because you see them on stage, I look at a band and see Yamaha, Roland, Korg, Nord, Hammon, Kursweil, Moog so there are plenty of excellent instruments to choose from.

I am a guitarist who happens to play keys and have recently been reviewing and researching keyboards.

There are basically a few different types, digtal pianos, arragers, workstations, synths and combos that have a bit of all.

Do note that many do not include inbuilt amps and speakers and hence allow for the cost of a keyboard amp, yes a guitar amp will do but an amp made specifically for a keyboard will give far better sound.

If you have say a budget of 1000 Euro then you could buy new.

Before Gary jumps in I suggest what he probably will in that you look at reviews of the Roland DS 61 and 88 keyboards, do look at reviews of both as they are slightly different. I played a 61 yesterday at my local store and it is an awesome unit.

Also look at arrangers in particular Korg PA700 and Yamaha PSR S770 and Roland EA7

Reaction score
Thanks Biggles. I restricted the research field to Nord 'cause I also promote concerts in my town (milano, Italy) and usually what people asks me as backline is Nord: given that I can't explore the whole keyboards world, Nord seems to fit my needs. But I'll check out your suggestion (but no 61, at least 72/3).
Of course I am aware of the amplifying needs, but I'll buy a PA to cover that and other needs, so that is not an issue.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
While you're looking at stuff in the Nord price range you may also want to consider a Korg Kronos or a Yamaha Montage or a Roland FA-08 or a Kurzweil Forte.

They are all top of the line from their respective manufacturers and I wouldn't worry about any player who turns up his nose at any of them.

Also it would be nice if you invested in both a ROMpler and an Analog piece of kit if you are trying to build a usable studio.

For analog gear if you're not willing to shell out for a MOOG there's the Behringer Deepmind 12 and Deepmind 6.

Personally I own a Kurzweil PC3K8 and a Deepmind 6 and I'm happy as hell with both of them.

Ultimately it always boils down to budget though.

Exactly how many Euros are you willing to drop on keys to build your studio?

If we have a better idea of your budget we can give more constructive recommendations.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Oh yes, yes. Forgive me. my bad. I was meaning that.

No need to apologize. :) I just wanted to point out the difference for clarification purposes, since it basically boils down to whether you want to swipe your hand up or down the keys the way organists sometimes do. You can still do that without waterfall keys, but it's more wear and tear on your hands because the keys don't have the slightly rounded front edge and there's that lip sticking out.

Reaction score
I, also, would greatly appreciate hearing a Nord expert opine and advise on the variations between models. Used, Stage models are now dipping towards $1k; that fulcrum draws them boldly into my acquisition mix.
While other comparisons and suggestions are fine, the author sought Nord-specific experience:
Where art thou...?

Ask a Question