Where to go from here?

3dc

Reaction score
Help me think :)
Right now I am still learning music theory and how to play music on my E463 but I am also experimenting with sample based DAW production. I am also realizing the limitations of my E463 so I am looking for new long term directions or upgrades. BTW I ditched Reaper DAW for Ableton Live 90 days trial. Music production on Live is way, waaaaay easier then Reaper.

Now the question is where to go from beginner stage?

Which rabbit hole to choose: DAW sample based production or something else. There is this DAWLESS option but I don't like it due to enormous amount of cables, modules, options and especially high prices. I really love the idea of music keyboard with speakers but apparently professional arrangers are severely limited with sounds and recording capabilities. I am also told they are rarely used for modern dance music production since none of them are equipped with basic synthesizer.

So is that it? DAW, MIDI controller and samples or there is another option?
Thanks for suggestions and help.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
You can use your PSR-E463 as a keyboard controller while you shop around for a keyboard controller with more controls. I assume you're already doing that, but my point is that you can take your time picking out the controller of your dreams, rather than rushing into a choice that you might regret. :)

3dc

Reaction score
Thanks for suggestion @SeaGtGruff. I am already using my E463 in DAW but its severely limited as MIDI controller. You can't map a volume knob to master volume in DAW. But I still love it for its intended purposes. You turn off the PC and you can practice or learn on it in peace. I also use it for sound monitoring. Impressive and nice sound for only 2x6 watts output.
Exaggeration mode ON: Now for the future I would like some fully portable version of Genos or Montage with nice 30 watts integrated speakers, 16 MIDI Sequencer + 16 Track HD recorder + Master track and full MIDI capabilities. Anything like that on the market? :p:)

Reaction score
Anything like that on the market?

:p:)

Yes

It is the Korg Pa 1000.

It is way better than a Yamaha SX900 for the sequencer, for the sounds and onboard Styles and there is a whole host of additional downloads available for free.

Then there is the Korg UK Webinar series which are free live web broardcasts (which are also available to watch after the event) and the korg forum is a great resource for information and advice.

Reaction score
Last December I went into my local Music Shop to have a play of a Korg PA4X which I was and still am considering in buying.

The Pa4X was not connected up so I ended up playing a Pa1000 which is a very good arranger, in the store they also had Yamaha SX 700 and an SX 900 which I could not resist having a play of both of them. The SX models are imo a vast leap in quality not only of the build but in the onboard sounds.

Delving into the menu system of the SX is where I became unstuck, to many buttons or screen presses were required. Being used to the Korg system which is very similar in all Pa models no doubt did not help.

Piano sounds and the SX is slightly better than the Korg but being Korg they all benefit from adjustments being made as they are all neutral in setup straight out of the box.

Where the SX limitations come to the front are in the organ, strings, brass and woodwind sounds, Korg have these nailed, also the recording on the Korg is much superior as you will see if you watch the Korg Video Manual Tutorials that there are on the Pa1000.

Do watch the Korg video tutorials before you visit the music store but also watch the Yamaha equivalent for the SX models which are also online.

Ask a Question