Yamaha mo8 going out of tune..

Reaction score
I started having same problem with my moX6- after playing for a minute or so it will jump a whole or half step down, and I have to change sounds for it to correct. Then it happens more frequently, making playing anything impossible. Taking it for a repair consult tomorrow. Anyone who says it’s impossible for an electronic kb to detune simply lacks the experience of owning one that does. They totally do, albeit from a completely different reason than an acoustic instrument. Also- I tried the factory reset to no avail. Will report back!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Yes, please do! This thread keeps getting revived from time to time as different people start to experience the same issue, so if you find a cause and fix that hasn't already been mentioned, it would be very helpful to future readers if you were to share your findings with us. :)

Reaction score
I'm the owner of a MO6 and constantly experience the keyboard pitch changing without doing anything. I usually restart the keyboard which helps to temporarily correct the problem, but like everyone here, I'm looking for a permanent fix. I have had the keyboard for 10 years now but this problem started around the 6th or 7th year.

Reaction score
When the issue occurs move the pitch wheel all the down, hold it then release it (allowing the wheel to spring back on its own). Do this a couple of times, including pushing it up, rather than down, allowing it to spring back down. Then play the keyboard and see if your issue corrects itself. If so then you have a pitch wheel that is drifting and needs to be repaired/replaced. Also try doing the same thing with the mod wheel, except that wheel doesnt have a spring so you will have manually move the wheel back and forth. Report back your results.

Reaction score
For the past 3 1/2 yrs. I've had no problems with this keyboard (which plays beautifully by the way) until recently. The keys are starting to sound out of tune. At first it would happen mildly but now it goes out of tune almost regularly. I play with a church worship team and after a while of rehearsing we will notice the keys sounding flatter than they should be. So we tested it and connected a tuner and sure enough it was the keyboard. I will quickly remedy the situation by changing the sound only to find the sound going out of tune within 5 min or so. I've tried resetting the keyboard to its initial settings to no avail. I will probably be taking it into the shop but was wondering if anyone else out there has encountered this situation? I haven't messed with the tuning in utility since I am constantly changing sounds and it would only sound sharper after changing sounds. Thanks for any help!

-Mandoster
am having the exact same experience. I have to set it at 448.7 to get 440. I would have never believe this possible, but it is and I need to figure out why or put it in the shop.

Reaction score
Me tooo!!, never heard of it. An electronic (digital) keyboard can not go out of tune as such. Accoustic piano yes, digital simply impossible. There must be something else intefering. Just guessing, NO mobile phones close to it.(notorious for interference) NO big speakers, airco, ventilator etc etc close to it.
Very strange, keep us informed if the problem has been found please.
Is there a lose contact/knob in the tuning section that by itself by possible resonance of the keyboard works its way up or down?
Definitely happened to me on a MOTIF XS8...you are absolutely and completely wrong...I need a solution

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The usual culprit in such cases is the Pitch Bend. Set the Pitch Bend range to +/- 0 semitones to see if that puts it back in tune. If it does, you'll need to get the Pitch Bend fixed if you want to be able to bend notes.

Reaction score
I turned off my foot controllers and my pitch corrected on my Motif 8. Try that.

Last edited:

Ask a Question