Do I need the Yamaha MOXF8 or just software for my DGX 660?

Reaction score
Hi musical friends,

I wish to purchase the Yamaha MoxF8, though having no previous experience with Arpeggios and synths etc, but the videos seem easy and cool.

1) My question is whether to purchase the MOXF8 which I wish for its many MOTIF FX sounds and extra Flash RAM I think?

Comparison:

The keyboard bed is similar to that of the DGX 660: 88 Weigthed GHS (graded hammer standard). I know that many free sounds are possible to load onto the MOXF8 under here the free CP1 sounds. But also I guess I could choose to run VTS sounds or software sounds on a PC instead and thus perhaps settle with the somewhat heavier DGX 660. I read a lot but prefer asking You musicians since this is a specific question.

I have owned yamahas: P250, p 120, p 155 ,then CP5 (a handful UI wise but great sounds, including the guitar sounds and synths), and now the DGX 660 (the reason I bought rather similar models is that I moved abroad several times).

One good thing about the DGX is the rhytms of which there are around 200, and the learning module: FOr my son and I can compose songs and have the NOtes shown on the display for him to play them and use. It also has many drum sets. THe MoxF8 uses arpeggios and seems to be more flexible if I need to create my own backing patch from the ground. But perhaps I can also do that with the DGX 660. Never tried and it does not have Arpeggios so I guess not really. I imagine that would be done with a metronome and recording the whole song with drums, perhaps after having recorded the melody).
SO anyway if I decide for the Moxf8, I think I would need to keep the DGX 660 for my sons sake and because he can easily have rhytms as backing without needing some rather tricky creation of suc with Arpeggios.

2) Or could I get such rhytms from software for the DGX 660? You see how many questions are circulating in my tormented piano mind ;-)

3) WHich DAW do I need?
I have very little experience with using a daw (Cubase seems a handful: I have Audacity at the moment to edit but I need to also write out note sheets (perhaps presonus right): THe DGX has a midi step sequencer and the capability to record audio (the midi and the microphone all together or convert a midi song with a backing pattern (rhytms) into audio while saving the midi tracks: You sing while converting the midi tracks into audio).

I know the MoxF8 comes bundled with the DAW (good thing since I have an old cubase 5 which seems crazy) etc. and I can Line in a Microphone which I need as well as another instrument. Also it's possible to edit music onboard and program sound setups for gigging, which is another need, apart from composing at home. Still don't know if I will be happy with just mixing onboard the MOXF8 or if I need a pc.

I have the DGX 660 and its nice to keep going with composing and singing. Please see if you can help me answer these questions, since I am unsure if having the MOXf8 is stupid since my main purpose is to have better and more synths as well as better instruments generally than those of the dgx 660. I don't know if I can input them with a pc to the DGX 660 and in that case a new purchase might seem stupid since I know the UI of the DGx 660 quite well now.

Sorry about the length of this but I hope I got the parameters well covered. Happy new year :)!
Dino

Reaction score
I got the answer by going to the MOTIF people combined with my research. I already ordered the MOXF8 :) as well as all the accessories. Only thing I have yet to order is a notesheet stand and a laptop holder. I have a mic stand already but it might be smarter to have the 3 things combined, or would that block my view to the keyboard? I'll be back :)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
One thing you'll find is that the MOXF8 is a different sort of beast than the DGX-660, so be aware that there will be a learning curve. Just take things slow and steady and you should get there. :)

Let us know how you like the MOXF8.

Reaction score
Thank you Michael. This is a great forum by the way. I read one thread about dgx660 before I signed up the other day and it was very informative.

Yes I will report back about my experience with the Moxf8. I guess there is no gain where there is no pain :)

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I have no experience with the MOXF series myself, but I'd love to have a MOXF8-- or even an MX88.

Reaction score
As far as I have read the MOXF is like an upgrade, improved version of the MX88. I don't remember why, but perhaps the keybed. Perhaps more plugs and possible options since it's newer. Both however have the sound of the MOTIF FX, so I will not try to debate this. Anyway "improved" is always a complicated affair in this business. Different needs different kinds of love right.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I think the keybeds of the MOXF8 and MX88 are supposed to be about the same. The MX models are more or less "lite" versions of the MOXF models, except there is no 49-key MOXF model, and no 76-key MX model. The MX49 and MX61 have been out for a number of years, but the MX88 just came out in 2017.

Reaction score
Allrighty then. Those numbers seem low to me as a pianist. Another ballgate but respectful the same. I respect our differences and talents and the power and action to proliferate it. I know myself that I often get to the extremities of an 88 piano. Doesn't mean I think I am special. No. just different styles and needs. I love all good musicians despite we are different.

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Allrighty then. Those numbers seem low to me as a pianist. Another ballgate but respectful the same. I respect our differences and talents and the power and action to proliferate it. I know myself that I often get to the extremities of an 88 piano. Doesn't mean I think I am special. No. just different styles and needs. I love all good musicians despite we are different.

There's a great video of Rick Wakeman being interviewed by someone and they had provided a 61-note keyboard for him to use during the interview. Whenever they would ask him a question about a particular song, he would play it on the keyboard but pound his hands in the air to the left and right of the keyboard whenever he was supposed to be playing notes outside the range of the 61 keys. :)

Reaction score
Happy New Year to you too.
And welcome to the forums.

Btw. I love the photo of you and your son. There is a huge face behind you? Was that planned? Awesome shot.
Cheers ray
Hmm, I can't see any face behind me. Would you happen to be clairvoyant or able to see ghosts ☺️

Reaction score
There's a great video of Rick Wakeman being interviewed by someone and they had provided a 61-note keyboard for him to use during the interview. Whenever they would ask him a question about a particular song, he would play it on the keyboard but pound his hands in the air to the left and right of the keyboard whenever he was supposed to be playing notes outside the range of the 61 keys. :)
Haha, funny

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
The face . .
It is the daylight between the trees directly above you and your boy. A silhouette! The palm trees form eyes and brows. At first I thought it was luna park.
Does anyone else see it? Or am I going mad?
Ray

Reaction score
Haha now I see it. No you are fine or I have become codependent;) If you mean Luna park in Sydney then no. I think this was shot on Gran Canaria, one of the Canarian Islands west of Africa. Spanish territory.

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Bing is still around. I use it regularly instead of Google, as of a few years ago when I signed up for their rewards program. It's actually my home page, and I love the daily pictures. I also have the Bing Desktop app, but I use it strictly for the daily wallpaper rather than for searching, simply because I prefer using a browser to search. I even have the Bing app on my iOS and Android devices. :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I've never used Bing more than once and that was a test to find out how linux friendly it was.

Bing/aka Micro$haft has been at war with Linux for decades and they filter out all linux related searches at the get go.

That sort of editorial interference marks them as total losers in my book. :p

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
My ASUS laptop came with windows 10 and defaults to Bing search engine when you tap on the icon "google search" lol.
I use chrome on my mobile phone.
They all get the same results.
Same smiley houses appear (above) on google and bing. lol.

Ask a Question