Yamaha CP40

Reaction score
Was wondering if any CP40 owners know what voice this is ? 1:40 and if it’s a preset , I’m looking for a new main keyboard and this sounds similar to my dx7 feel it will break down on me soon since I play it everyday and trying to upgrade to a new keyboard not sure if I should go for this or MX88

Reaction score
If you can go to a well stocked music store and try a mix of pianos
Yea I’m gna have have to do that . I’ve never felt weighted or hammer keys before I just have my old dx7 haha for reference I need something newer Forsure and all my other keyboards are mini keys and I just can’t play them as much anymore after playing bigger ones thank you for reply

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I'm guessing it's a preset voice, but all he said (if I heard him correctly) is that it's a "classic EP sound" and that it uses the tremolo effect. I don't think the CP40 has that many voices to begin with, so it should be possible to identify which EP voice is being used. If I heard correctly that it's using the tremolo effect, then it might be a little tougher to say which EP voice it is. At first I was going to suggest that it might be a DX EP sound, which is often considered to be a "classic" sort of EP sound due to having been used on a lot of very popular hit songs. But it could also be a Fender Rhodes or "suitcase" EP sound with a lot of tremolo applied to it.

Reaction score
I'm guessing it's a preset voice, but all he said (if I heard him correctly) is that it's a "classic EP sound" and that it uses the tremolo effect. I don't think the CP40 has that many voices to begin with, so it should be possible to identify which EP voice is being used. If I heard correctly that it's using the tremolo effect, then it might be a little tougher to say which EP voice it is. At first I was going to suggest that it might be a DX EP sound, which is often considered to be a "classic" sort of EP sound due to having been used on a lot of very popular hit songs. But it could also be a Fender Rhodes or "suitcase" EP sound with a lot of tremolo applied to it.
You have a great ear that’s exactly why that video caught my eye , sounded almost identical to one of the sounds on my dx7 thank you for reply , it’s this or mx88 or sv-1 not sure which one yet

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The MX88 would have a lot more voices to choose from than the CP40, although I'm not sure how their keybeds compare, or the quality (versus quantity) of their sounds. I think the Yamaha stage pianos use different, higher-quality sound samples than Yamaha keyboards and synths do, and possibly better weighted-action keybeds, but I'm not sure about that. So you might want to base part of your decision-making process on whether it's more important to you to have a wider variety of voices versus having a smaller selection of better-sounding voices. Also, the MX88 can be used with an iPad app that lets you create and use voices using FM synthesis, although I don't think you can use as many operators as on the DX7.

Reaction score
The MX88 would have a lot more voices to choose from than the CP40, although I'm not sure how their keybeds compare, or the quality (versus quantity) of their sounds. I think the Yamaha stage pianos use different, higher-quality sound samples than Yamaha keyboards and synths do, and possibly better weighted-action keybeds, but I'm not sure about that. So you might want to base part of your decision-making process on whether it's more important to you to have a wider variety of voices versus having a smaller selection of better-sounding voices. Also, the MX88 can be used with an iPad app that lets you create and use voices using FM synthesis, although I don't think you can use as many operators as on the DX7.
I think better quality sounds is for me I don’t mind that at all since I only use around 3 or 4 sounds only and I can always just plug my dx7 thru midi to my new keyboard if I’m missing that dx7 sound , also want to try weighted keys to feel more like a real piano

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
While you're at a Music store, try out a Roland Juno DS88 if you can. It has over a hundred piano patches built in and some of them are very nice indeed.

The price is also amazingly reasonable considering the range and quality of the instruments built in. Plus you can sample and add additional sounds if need be. It also has a vocoder built in.

The keyboard also has an excellent hammer action feel.

Seriously, for the price they're selling it, they could have charged double and nobody would have blinked.

I own one and I simply love it.

Gary ;l)

Reaction score
While you're at a Music store, try out a Roland Juno DS88 if you can. It has over a hundred piano patches built in and some of them are very nice indeed.

The price is also amazingly reasonable considering the range and quality of the instruments built in. Plus you can sample and add additional sounds if need be. It also has a vocoder built in.

The keyboard also has an excellent hammer action feel.

Seriously, for the price they're selling it, they could have charged double and nobody would have blinked.

I own one and I simply love it.

Gary ;l)
Sounds like a really good keyboard I’ll have to look into it there’s so many out there rn it’s crazy. sampling and vocoder nice , I have a microkorg a microsampler, Roland a404 sp sampler, Yamaha reface yc some other random little old keyboards and a dx7 I just started less then a year ago and mainly play on my dx7 but I want to ease off playing on it before it dies I love it and need to upgrade to something robust and long lasting mini keys just don’t cut it anymore at all

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You'll love the price. $999 USD, frequently marked down to $899. The 88 Key hammer action version weighs in around 35 lbs. The 76 key and 61 key versions are identical except for the number of keys and weigh in around 10 lbs less.

Like I said, Roland have really lowered the bar price-wise while keeping the quality and features at a $2000 workstation level.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Quite honesty I cannot see why any home keyboard player who may be limited in space and budget should want a digital piano when there is so much more flexible keyboard choices out there.

I echo Gary’s suggestion a Roland Juno DS 88 is the one to put right at the top of your potential list.

I only bought my own Korg Kross 2 61 because of its lack of weight which makes it easier to transport, but the Kross 2 88 key version is a competitor to the Juno DS 88 that is worth playing to compare the two. If I was after 88 keys it would probably be the DS that I would choose.

Do look at the reviews and also go onto the Roland Product Support’s Youtube channel and look at their tutorial videos on using a Juno DS. Do the same on Korg’s Video Manual channel, in fact start with the Korg as the videos are in a more logical order than those of Roland.

Ask a Question