Yamaha PSR-E423 or YPG-235?

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new to these forums. Just though some of you might have some good advice for me.

Alright I'm planning on buying my very first electronic keyboard before new years. What I plan on doing with this keyboard is mainly just to play with it for fun. I am a HUGE music fan, and LOVE all kinds of different sounds. I really like to experiment and do my own thing. Yet on the side I am inspired by Mozart, to actually learn how to actually play the Piano, and read Sheet Music.

I really like the PSR because it's got these 2 knobs that alter the sound of some effects which I REALLY like. It's a lot of fun. :)

As for the YPG, I like it because I hear it has Graded Soft Touch keys, and has more keys than the PSR.

I'd also like to connect either of these keyboards to my computer VIA usb, and use it as a controller in Reason 5, so that I can play with all the synthesizer effects in the program, and possibly use it to produce electronic music.

My question is; which would best suit me? What are the pro's and con's of these two keyboards? I also heard that the key style on the PSR is organ style. Is that a good or bad thing? Any extra info that I may of not of mentioned would be most appreciated. I really hope to get some good responses. Thank you all! :)

Reaction score
I have bought the PSR e423 and am extremely satisfied with it. It has soft touch keys as well, further, the keys are touch sensitive meaning they will play louder if you strike them harder just like a real piano.

The Yamaha learning feature is fantastic. Like i mentioned in another post, my 8 and 12 year old kids, who do not go to any formal music teacher, have learnt to play Fur Elise using the Learn function on the PSR e423.

The Yamaha website page for the 423 will tell you more about the hundreds of instruments on it.

I would thoroughly recommend it.

Reaction score
I am still torn between these two keyboards. I have tried out the PSR at my local music store. But I have not got a chance to play the YPG because they didn't have any in stock. The YPG seems to be very popular in my town, they are sold out everywhere.

I'm really trying to figure out the differences between the two and what each is best used for. From what I can tell so far the PSR is synth focused. And the YPG is more of a Portable Grand Piano.

The PSR has "organ" style keys, whereas the YPG has graded touch soft keys. What are the differences between these two styles of keys? I have no idea...

Reaction score
OK, I want to set one thing straight first...

The YPG-235 does not have weighted keys of any kind.
It's the same action as on the PSR series - the keys just look different.

But i'd recomend the YPG only cause it has more keys. Everything else
should be the same between these 2 models (sound quality for example)

Reaction score
hi!, I just want to inquire things about this Yamaha PSR-E423. If I record or program songs (5 songs as stated) in this keyboard, can I save it these songs (in midi format) to my PC using Yamahas Musicsoft? Considering of course that I have installed properly the drivers & software of the said keyboard. And as I turn off the keyboard, thus these songs in the keyboards’ memory be erased? Just incase, can I save back my own recorded songs to this keyboard and play it back on the keyboard? Thus this mean that I can program or record many songs (more than 5) if I’ll just use my PC as storage? Please reply cause I’m planning to buy this Yamaha PSR-E423 while it is still on sale. Thanks in advance..

Reaction score
hi!, I just want to inquire things about this Yamaha PSR-E423. If I record or program songs (5 songs as stated) in this keyboard, can I save it these songs (in midi format) to my PC using Yamahas Musicsoft? Considering of course that I have installed properly the drivers & software of the said keyboard. And as I turn off the keyboard, thus these songs in the keyboards’ memory be erased? Just incase, can I save back my own recorded songs to this keyboard and play it back on the keyboard? Thus this mean that I can program or record many songs (more than 5) if I’ll just use my PC as storage? Please reply cause I’m planning to buy this Yamaha PSR-E423 while it is still on sale. Thanks in advance..

I'm not sure about the e423, but mine (e303) uses some weird filetype for the internal recording which I could never convert on my PC. You can still download and backup everything, you just won't necessarily be able to play them anywhere but on the keyboard. However, when you upload stuff to it, you use plain MIDI files, so no worries.

What I eventually did was play the files on the PSR and record the MIDI output to Cubase (any other app with MIDI-recording capability would naturally do as well). It's a bit backwards I guess, but it works.

Ask a Question