Yamaha PSR E433 easy chords? question

Reaction score
Hello. I just purchased a PSR E433. I did have a question about easy chords (just curiosity, I am going to learn full chords), but I figured it out.

So far I am very impressed! I took some piano lessons as a child but that was ions ago. I've played other instruments in the past and have a good ear for rhythm and music, so I am looking forward to evolving on this baby!

Reaction score
JazzKing

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the E433. You are going to love it ! In case you have not already found them, here are some links to YOUTUBE E433 demos and overviews. Some of them are not in English, but that does not matter as you will still get an idea of the E433's capabilities. Also, a couple have ads at the beginning that you can skip after 5 seconds. The last link is of an E423, but I think you will enjoy it as well. There are a ton of other video demos out there. Just do a BING or GOOGLE search on "YOUTUBE PSR E433" and enjoy !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWrRaHcfZ-I

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I have been watching these. This has been a long time coming and long overdue. I think this setup will keep me involved well into my retirement years.

The Y_man

Reaction score
I still cannot get the "easy chords" mentioned in the owners manual to work. The manual just says you can use them, but doesn't say how.

Start up one of the styles (drums pattern).

Check out page 22 of the manual.

http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=en&site=uk.yamaha.com&asset_id=55373

How far do you get?
eg does the drums sound with no backing?

Once the drums are going, just press the "c" key to the furthest left of the keys - what happens?

The actual easy chord chart is on p 44 of the manual

The Y-man

Reaction score
JazzKing

Older arranger keyboards usually had a dedicated multi-position switch for selecting the type of chord accompaniment you wanted - full finger, simple fingering, etc. Some even had a position for inversions based on the lowest note you played. This switch was often the same switch that turned the accompaniment on and off and some even combined that with the main power switch for the entire board. This is not necessary with the newer boards (E433 included), as they are "intelligent" enough to tell what type of chord fingering you want just from the keys you are playing, . . . BUT . . . in the case of the E433 ( and many others) the accompaniment MUST BE TURNED ON (ACMP ON/OFF button) as it is the accompaniment feature that provides the "intelligence" to make the chords. See the "Easy Chords" table at the bottom of Page 44 of the manual for proper fingerings. You only get four "Easy" chord types - majors, minors, sevenths, and minor sevenths, that's it !

Now, this may be a problem for you, as the accompaniment is only going to provide the voices associated with the selected rhythm style, and when accompaniment is ON, but the rhythm is STOPped, the accompaniment defaults to a steady strings/pad drone - not pleasing at all. In other words, the accompaniment has to be on and the rhythm has to be running to get any kind of useable accompaniment. If you were looking for traditional left hand piano style accompaniment from simple (easy) chord fingering while you played right hand piano style melody, then no - the E433 can not do that. The closest you could come is to select one of the simple piano style accompaniment rhythms in the style range of 174 to 186.

If you do find a rhythm style that fits what you are playing, but is a little bit "too busy", you can use the STYLES buttons to turn some of the rhythm parts off.

Best of luck !

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Yeah, playing an auto accompaniment is, AFAIK, always done with the left-hand side of a split.

Ask a Question