Yamaha PSR e453

Reaction score
Then it will probably be necessary to take the keyboard to a Yamaha repair shop. I don't know anything about this error, but it seems to be coming up a lot with the newer PSR-E models, which is troubling. If you just bought the keyboard and it's still under warranty, I'd recommend returning it for a refund, replacement, or repair.
The problem I bought this keyboard from the friend of mind and this is good when I got from them.
I think the reason of this is I've been save some style from flash drive, and maybe my flash drive have some virus or some files that can make my keyboard update.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Never turn the keyboard on or off with a USB flash drive inserted in the USB TO DEVICE port.

If you have a USB flash drive in the USB TO DEVICE port, remove it.

If the keyboard is on, turn it off and wait for about 10 or 15 seconds to make sure no residual power is flowing through it.

Hold down the rightmost white key and three rightmost black keys, then turn on the keyboard while keeping those four keys held down, to do the "flash clear" operation. (See page 39 in the owner's manual.)

When that procedure finishes, turn the keyboard off again and wait about 10 or 15 seconds.

Hold down the rightmost white key by itself, then turn on the keyboard while keeping that key held down, to do the "backup clear" operation.

If the keyboard is not working again after that procedure finishes, turn the keyboard off again and wait about 10 or 15 seconds.

Hold down the MEMORY button, then turn on the keyboard while keeping that button held down.

If the keyboard is still displaying "Update" after performing these procedures, I don't know what else to suggest except to have the keyboard looked at by a certified Yamaha service technician.

Note that at least one user on this forum has reported getting this "Update" message on one of the PSR-E2xx models, which have no USB TO DEVICE or USB TO HOST ports, meaning there is no way to load external style files into those models. Consequently, I would tend to doubt that this message was caused in your case by loading external styles from a USB flash drive-- but you never know.

Reaction score
Never turn the keyboard on or off with a USB flash drive inserted in the USB TO DEVICE port.

If the keyboard is on, turn it off and wait for about 10 or 15 seconds to make sure no residual power is flowing through it.

Hold down the rightmost white key and three rightmost black keys, then turn on the keyboard while keeping those four keys held down, to do the "flash clear" operation. (See page 39 in the owner's manual.)

When that procedure finishes, turn the keyboard off again and wait about 10 or 15 seconds.

Hold down the rightmost white key by itself, then turn on the keyboard while keeping that key held down, to do the "backup clear" operation.

If the keyboard is not working again after that procedure finishes, turn the keyboard off again and wait about 10 or 15 seconds.

Hold down the MEMORY button, then turn on the keyboard while keeping that button held down.

If the keyboard is still displaying "Update" after performing these procedures, I don't know what else to suggest except to have the keyboard looked at by a certified Yamaha service technician.

Note that at least one user on this forum has reported getting this "Update" message on one of the PSR-E2xx models, which have no USB TO DEVICE or USB TO HOST ports, meaning there is no way to load external style files into those models. Consequently, I would tend to doubt that this message was caused in your case by loading external styles from a USB flash drive-- but you never know.

Thank you so much for this very clear explanation.....
If I comeback home I will try this strategy again....

Reaction score
Sir, I recently bought a Yamaha psr e373 keyboard from a online store. I have a unique issue in the keyboard. While playing auto accomplishment with cords they don't really play the exact chords which I play, either full fingered or single finger mode. What to do?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
See page 23 of the PSR-E373 Owner's Manual. The default chord fingering type is "SmartChord," which might be the cause of your trouble. If the fingering type is set to "SmartChord," try setting it to "Multi" instead.

Ask a Question