64-bit drivers, plug-ins and software for Mac

Reaction score
Anyone here use a Mac ? Planning on upgrading to Mac OS Catalina in September ?
Better think twice.

From this version on, 32-bit applications are dead. They simply will not work anymore.
I believe most plug-ins and software provided by manufactureres, whether it’s Korg, Yamaha, Roland or any other brand are 32-bit only, especially if the keyboard you own came out a couple of years ago.

There are alternatives sometimes for the software that comes with keyboard, but what if the drivers haven’t been updated ? No more computer connection anymore, no more DAW ?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Your answer, in a nutshell is Yep!@

S.O.L.

Korg's legacy support sucks donkey hooters.

My minilogue went out of production this year to be replaced by the XD.

The patch librarian won't recognize Win 7 drivers on my windows dual boot system. ie. NO WORKEE!@!!

No more updates being released. :p

If you depend on software support for updates, editors, librarians, etc... you probably own a brick :p

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I've got 64-bit Yamaha and Steinberg drivers installed on my 64-bit Windows 10 computer-- at least, they're posted for 64-bit systems, and are different downloads than the versions of the drivers posted for 32-bit systems, so I assume they're 64-bit drivers.

Reaction score
Yamaha seems to be up to date, but I fear for Korg and Roland.
Even Nord's Sound Manager is 32-bit only, apparently. So no more adding or swapping sounds in your Nord when you upgrade to Catalina...

Reaction score
Old News.

Apple have been working the last 10 years to phase out 32 bit.

So the answer is simple, it it aint broke don’t fix it.

Reaction score
They've been telling developers since the release of High Sierra that they will stop supporting 32-bit apps. It's not Apple's problem, but the developers, in this case the keyboard manufacturers (or some of them).

Most people don't know or care about 32 vs 64-bit applications so imagine their surprise when they upgrade their Mac in September (or better still, buy a new Mac, which automatically comes with the new OS, WITHOUT the possibility to downgrade), only to discover that the connection to their DAW doesn't work, or that they can no longer update their boards (some boards need a computer to update, others via usb key), etc.
And even if there are 64-bit versions of that software in development, they should have been out already, before the release of Mac OS Catalina next month.
And also, not everyone is ok with sticking with an older version of their computer's OS. If it ain't broke, don't fix it has some truth to it, but not being able to upgrade to the new OS you want is a pain.

Edit : Clavia will update their software before the release of Mac OS Catalina. I sent an email to Korg support to know what their plans are... Told you I was a perfectionist :p

Last edited:

Ask a Question