A bit of a quandry...

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm joining this forum as someone who started learning to play the organ at 5 years old. Since then I have owned and played a couple of keyboards, and in more recent years a digital piano on which I am self taught to a basic level.

I will shortly be having to sell my piano due to space contraints in our house and replace it with something smaller and more easily movable. I am thinking along the lines of either a five octave portable piano such as Yamaha's Piagerro, or a conventional keyboard with split keyboard and auto accompaniment.

I'm not asking for recommendations on specific makes and models as this is a question that's probably asked hundreds of times elsewhere on this site, but what are people's opinions on the type of instrument I should go for?

On one hand I think a keyboard provides more flexibility, ie. used for chord based playing with the split keyboard. But is this kind of playing a little amateurish compared to a conventional piano keyboard played traditionally?

I'm really not sure what to do but am open to suggestions and opinions!

The Y_man

Reaction score
In my opinion, a good portable with auto-accompiniment etc etc gives you the flexibility down the track. Remember that they can still be used as a digital piano (you can set accompaniment and key split functions off) - but the thing you're most likely to miss is the key weight/action compared to a real piano on cheaper models.

However, seeing as you started on organ, that might not be too much of an issue?

Finally - the Yamaha Piagerro (NP-Vx series) IS one of those keyboard that has capabilities of auto-accompaniment, split keyboard etc..... it is more in the looks department (less "portable" than the PSR's for example) that it differs.

The Y-man

Ask a Question