A dog of a movie.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Biggles, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Biggles

Biggles

Annoyed.

Just spent £15 buying a recent movie on Blu-ray.

We sat down to watch it tonight.

Terrible scrip, more like a series of one liners.

Acting by posing.

Songs and music totally out of keeping with the era the movie as set in.

The Greatest Showman ....... makes Plan 9 From Outer Space seem like the Oscar winner as best movie.

Biggles, Jul 5, 2018
    Becky likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Biggles

happyrat1 Destroyer of Eardrums!!!

I've got you beat.

Eraserhead.

Smoke a large joint and wash it down with a beer and be prepared to watch your brain explode in a mirror.

This is partly the reason why I no longer buy DVDs or Bluerays.

I despise the "theater experience" of morons on cellphones, overpriced snacks and rushing in the washroom to get back before I miss an important plot point. :p

Nowadays I'll watch it on Netflix.

I have no desire to see the "latest and greatest" and most blockbuster hits will hit Netflix within 2 months of Blueray release anyway.

And for anything that seems really worth watching in spite of the hype? There's always Kodi on my Android Box.

F*** the Cable Companies and F*** Hollywood. These are not "artists" needing support. These are carpetbaggers who spend $300 Million on effects and $20 on writing. :p

I feel no shame being an admitted video pirate. In Canada today there is no law against streaming video to your set over the Internet. Only if you share copyright material via filesharing apps, and Kodi doesn't work that way :p

Gary ;)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    happyrat1, Jul 5, 2018
    John Garside and Rayblewit like this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Biggles

Becky Administrator

I've not watched it yet, but I know a lot of people who love The Greatest Showman. Mind you, they're all families with kids, so maybe that changes things. I'm not in any rush to watch it, looks a bit corny. Might take a peek if it ever makes its way to Netflix ;)

Becky, Jul 6, 2018
  4. Biggles

Biggles

Corny it is.

Mind you after seeing Michael Crawford in the Stage show Barnum at the Manchester Opera House in the eighties then our expectations for the movie was high.

Our Grandaughter performed some of the songs from the show at a recent stage school production that she was in, sadly we could not get to see her show, so guess what? She will get the Blu-ray next time she comes to visit.

Biggles, Jul 6, 2018
    Becky likes this.
  5. Biggles

Rayblewit Love Music / Love Life

I agree with Gary.
    I have never bought a NEW DVD movie ever! Second hand music ones on ebay . . yes! But never a movie. I do not own one movie.
    What is the point of having a stack of dvd's sitting on shelves for years which have only been watched once.

You can watch a movie for Free through youtube and send it to your smart tv.

We even borrow dvd's from the library for free.

I don't have any sympathy Col for you £15 loss. You would have been better off putting the money into a music dvd. At least you may watch it a few times. Music is ongoing. Movies are a one off event.
    Ray

Rayblewit, Jul 6, 2018
    happyrat1 likes this.
  6. Biggles

SeaGtGruff I meant to play that note! Moderator

I own a lot of movies-- on VHS tapes, DVDs, HD-DVDs (remember those?), and Blu-Rays. I don't own any 3D or 4K movies yet, since I don't have a 3D or 4K Blu-Ray player and TV.

Over the years, I've bought a lot of movies that I probably watched just once, but also a lot of movies that I've watched dozens of times. To me, a great movie is like a great piece of music that you love to listen to again and again, or a great book that you love to read again and again. (Yes, there actually are books that I've read more than once!)

It's difficult to say what makes a movie (or piece of music, or book, etc.) great, because it might be something different for different people, or even for the same person at different times-- and it might seem great at one time, but days or weeks or months or years later it no longer seems great, or vice versa.

SeaGtGruff, Jul 7, 2018
  7. Biggles

Biggles

We only buy Blu-rays now that we would want to watch many times.

Blade Runner (original not the dull slow recent sequel), Star Wars, Avatar, Lord of the Rings, Cary Grant collection etc we have about 100 and thought that The Greatest Showman would be one of those as we like Hugh Jackman and he does have a great voice.

Music DVDs, concerts and compilation of single videos we have quite a mixed selection of 40 ranging from Runrig, Rod Stewart, The Who, Tina Turner to The Pasadena Roof Orchestra, Santana and Buena Vista Social Club.

So £15 on something we will get enjoyment out of multiple times is a small sum as we do have Netflix, Amazon Prime and Sky movies for one offs.

As it is the movies coming out of Hollywood are pretty dire, the multiplex near us has 16 movies showing and of these there is probably only one that we would buy but we would certainly not go to see any of them.

Biggles, Jul 7, 2018
  8. Biggles

I'd like to buy more concerts on Blu-Ray/DVD. About the only ones I have are ELP Pictures at an Exhibition and George Strait's Farewell Show, plus maybe a Yes show that wasn't as good as I'd hoped. I have The Who's Anniversary Show on DVR, but I'd like to have it on Blu-Ray, as well as a good Genesis concert or two.

SeaGtGruff, Jul 7, 2018
  9. Biggles

Biggles

Michael

I can reccomend:-

Yes, 35th Anniversary (I saw this tour in Manchester)
    Tina Turner, One Last Time (another I saw in Manchester)
    Pink Ffloyd, Pulse
    Jeff Wayne, War of the Worlds

Biggles, Jul 7, 2018
  10. Biggles

Rayblewit Love Music / Love Life

Now we are talkin':)
    Music:rolleyes:
    I must admit I did buy a couple of DVD new (full price) music vids over the years. I also bought VHS tapes brand new. They were all Jethro Tull since I use to be a Tull freak.
    I have a few orther DVD of other bands now since I have broadened my music taste and slipped out of the Tull rut.
    I have never bought any brand new. Always second hand from garage sales, thrift shops and markets. Usually I pay just $2. I have sold some on ebay for good profit too. Some jazz is collectible and worth the $2 investment for $50 auction sale. LOL:cool:
    Ray

Rayblewit, Jul 7, 2018
  11. Biggles

I've watched a number of concert videos on YouTube, so I can understand the argument for not buying any discs of your own and just streaming movies, music videos-- even entire albums-- off of the internet. But I've yet to watch a concert video on YouTube, or stream an album on Amazon Music, or binge-stream a TV series on Netflix, without encountering some sort of interruption-- a momentary reduction in quality, momentary freeze while the data was being buffered, etc. You don't get those problems when watching a Blu-Ray disc. So I'm all for streaming movies and videos and albums, etc.-- but I'm also for buying a physical copy of anything that you care enough about that you want to enjoy it without the risk of any glitches. And it's also nice not to have to worry about losing the ability to watch or listen to something because your internet is out or the site you were using no longer carries that particular content, etc. :)

SeaGtGruff, Jul 8, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question