A Few Words About Brexit...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If UK markets have recovered then tell that to the poor idiots who invested in them in UK POUNDS.

The pound has dropped from $1.47 to $1.30 USD in the past two weeks and continues to slide.

https://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=gbpusd=x#{"range":"1mo","allowChartStacking":true}

Likewise UK real estate is crashing and likewise one of the largest banks in the UK, RBS is down almost 50% to date.

https://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=rbs+Interactive#{"range":"1mo","allowChartStacking":true}

The rest of the British Banks aren't doing any better.

Market Indexes are a tiny snapshot of an overall picture that's meaningless unless you are applying it to an Index Fund.

UK and EU markets and especially financials ARE crashing regardless of your insistence to prove me wrong.

It's going to be a long and steady decline for years to come and between the decline of the pound, the decline of the banks and the crash in real estate prices, UK residents have already taken a 35% haircut to date.

Gary :eek:

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
If a Brit invested in their own market, they're no worse off. Same with an Australian or an American.

You live in real estate, you don't invest in it. (Unless you're a professional who's busy ignoring 2008.)

Investing in another country always has the risk of currency fluctuations. Those same currency fluctuations will do wonders for the industrial sector in the UK, since they are now relatively cheaper than they were.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
And if you live in a country chances are your pension is invested in the local banks, ALL of which are down by HUGE margins

https://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=barc.l Interactive#{"range":"3mo","allowChartStacking":true}

https://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=hsbc Interactive#{"range":"3mo","allowChartStacking":true}

And if you are looking forward to retirement chances are your Home is your single biggest asset and chances are you were planning to sell it off to retire to a condo or a cottage in the country.

And if you're a Boomer like many of us then you are looking at a rising cost of living and imports with the collapse of the pound.

Stop trying to whitewash this with your experiences.

The only reason the American economy is doing as well as it is today is because your economy is the lesser of multiple evils.
You still have over $Thirteen TRILLION$ in debt, Fed Reserve Interest rates are still at record lows and the only reason markets keep bouncing back these days is that central banks keep dumping free money into them which ends up in the hands of the 1%. :p

The whole thing is a house of cards bigger than the subprime scandal and the Libor scandal put together.

With government and corporate non junk bonds paying piddly sub percent yields I seriously fear for everyone whose retirement plans are tied up in today's markets.

Anyway, it's your money. Throw it away as you see fit. I just hope that others reading this get the hint and start getting out of these ponzi mutual funds and markets before they really start to fall apart.

Gary :p

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Hey Becky . . .
Looks like you (MAY) be getting a new lady PM. (Pun intended ;))
How do you feel about that?
I think she is moving forward with brexit. . .?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Personally I'm wondering when the hell her Majesty, the Queen is going to even acknowledge that Brexit actually happened?

Considering the crown is actually the biggest single landowner in Britain one would assume she at least has an opinion :p

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hey Becky . . .
Looks like you (MAY) be getting a new lady PM. (Pun intended ;))
How do you feel about that?
I think she is moving forward with brexit. . .?

I'm really pleased Theresa May will be our PM - she seems very competent and focused. She wasn't a Brexit supporter before the referendum, but she seems willing to accept that Brexit is what was decided and has to be enacted. As I said before, I really wish we were staying in the EU, but if we have to leave then I have no doubt that she will put us in the best position possible. We'll see I guess!

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I'm really pleased Theresa May will be our PM - . . . . I have no doubt that she will put us in the best position possible. . . .
:) I like your positivity Becky.
Next will be Hilary on the other side of the pond.:p
I wonder how the two girls will get on together. :eek:

Ask a Question