AC power question

Reaction score
We recently moved to South Korea. I ordered a Roland FP E50 keyboard via an on-line shopping site. The instrument I'm receiving is being imported from Japan. I'm worried about the electrical power difference between Korea (220v) and Japan (110v). Will I need to get a step down transformer to avoid frying my new keyboard. I can find no information at all on the Roland site. All references say to make sure to use the AC adapter module supplied with the keyboard. It does not mention the source AC requirement or warn about any possible voltage mismatch. I know the actual keyboard like most electronic instruments basically runs on 5 volts. But most (like TVs) have no problem with either 220 or 110v source AC current. You usually only need a plug adapter to match the wall outlet.

Reaction score
We recently moved to South Korea. I ordered a Roland FP E50 keyboard via an on-line shopping site. The instrument I'm receiving is being imported from Japan. I'm worried about the electrical power difference between Korea (220v) and Japan (110v). Will I need to get a step down transformer to avoid frying my new keyboard. I can find no information at all on the Roland site. All references say to make sure to use the AC adapter module supplied with the keyboard. It does not mention the source AC requirement or warn about any possible voltage mismatch. I know the actual keyboard like most electronic instruments basically runs on 5 volts. But most (like TVs) have no problem with either 220 or 110v source AC current. You usually only need a plug adapter to match the wall outlet.
i went to the roland site and checked the tech specs, i saw this:

"Connectors: DC In jack".

This indicates it comes with an external power supply. They have been building ext. PS with an input range of 110-240V for at least 10 years. Hou should have no issue using the keyboard anywhere in thd world.

Reaction score
That was my initial thought, but the on-line delivery company led me to believe that the input requirement was 120 volts only. I couldn't find anything on the Roland site to confirm or deny. They never even mentioned source input. I guess I'll just have to wait for the keyboard to arrive (they said a couple of weeks) and see what's indicated on the external power supply (AC adapter). Thanks for your assurance.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
All you need is a generic AC/DC adapter with proper voltage, amperes and polarity and a connector that fits the socket. All those specs should be printed or embossed below the connector jack.

Reaction score
Hi, as a retired electronics engineer, almost all AC mains products (except those who use adaptors which require the correct DC input, poloarity and current rating) use SMPSU (Switch Mode Power supplie.
These are used in brown goods such as TV, video and computers both laptop and desktop PSU#s and other set top boxes as well as keyboards etc. These have a wide range if input voltages typically from 80 - 265 They also sef adjust for frequency and power factor correction.

They are also much lighter since they don't need large / heavy mains transformers, cheaper to
make and very reliable. The idea is that they can simply be plugged in for any country, but an adaptor just so it fits the sockets of differenet coutries, may be needed.

I hope this helps.

Ask a Question