Advice for moving forward

Reaction score
Hi all, I've been learning keyboard online, and in parallel I would like to expand on piano, main purpose is to leisure play some piano-oriented pop pieces or simple classical-like pieces (eg river flows in you, or some Richard Clayerdeman pieces). Here are more info about my background:

I've been learning keyboard with online keyboard school and recently completed London College of Music keyboard grade 5 (with Distinction yaaay:). Through my online course, I've been exposed to all major and minor scales, triads, inversions, arpeggios, melody, rests/ties, triplets, harmonics/melodic intervals, selected 3rd and 7th chords, accompaniment etc. Practiced pieces mostly on pop, rock, simple blues/R&B/soul in virtual band setting. I did not formally learn dynamics and pedal (these are just two things I'm aware of).

So for the piano leisure play purpose, would you recommend
(a) go through a classical-oriented method book such as Faber/fundemantal keys, or
(b) just get on the pieces and practice, or
(c) other advice?

Thanks a gig!

Reaction score
I should have also asked this question. How much overlap between keyboard and piano grades syllabus in grade 1-5 (say ABRSM piano grade 1-5 vs LCM keyboard grade 1-5). If there are many overlap, I think I can prob quickly skim through the above method book 1 and carefully follow book 2/3?....

Reaction score
Hey Ralph, good to hear you're making such strong progress.

This is a really big question you're asking and you'll probably get as many different answers as people who are willing to give their opinion. Most people will tend to tell you what has worked for them, which may/may not work for you.

I learned to play piano when I was very young, still in primary school. What worked for me back then was a wonderful piano teacher, weekly lessons, lots of books on theory, theory homework and practicing mountains of classical tunes, which slowly morphed into pop as I got older.

However if on line lessons have been working well for you, I don't see any reason why you couldn't continue down that path with your piano lessons. At the end of the day you'll be the one who is the best judge of whether or not you're making satisfactory progress.

In answer to your question about LCM keyboard vs ABRSM piano, I had a quick look on the internet and my initial feeling is the ABRSM piano pieces are a fair bit more advanced than their LCM keyboard cousins. How that relates to each syllabus and lesson, plus associated theory, I couldn't say.

Good luck with it all!

Reaction score
I learned to play piano when I was very young, still in primary school. What worked for me back then was a wonderful piano teacher, weekly lessons, lots of books on theory, theory homework and practicing mountains of classical tunes, which slowly morphed into pop as I got older.
Thank you for the detailed reply!
Also it's to nice to be classically trained, build a strong foundation , and then choose a direction you like....I didn't have the chance to do that when I was a kid, but I'll make sure I offer that if my kid is into music.
Back to my own dilemma, I think I'll first look at a few online programs and method books to help me transit from keyboard to piano. Hopefully won't end up getting a teacher..lol

Ask a Question