Assigning foot switch to mod wheel

Reaction score
Is there a way to assign a footswitch to a PSR 9000 mod wheel, the purpose being, to use the switch to turn on and off the Leslie speaker with Logic‘s Hammond B3

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Doesn't the Yamaha have any assignable buttons?

Why not assign the sustain pedal? It's useless for organ anyway.

Reaction score
I’m trying to assign the sustain pedal to the mod wheel, yes, I agree that a sustain pedal is not much good with an organ, except when that organ has a Leslie, then it’s very much needed

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Apples and oranges. Digital and Analog. Switches and Potentiometers.

These things are not interchangeable, hence they do not exist on any keyboard.

Either use the pedal or assign to a switch.

Those are your options.

Reaction score
I would have thought that seeing as the sustain switch (analog) can be used with the keyboards (digital) piano then it could maybe be assigned to the mod wheel?

Anyway, it’s not a big problem as the Leslie can be switched via left hand whilst the right is playing notes, alternatively, two hands can be used for playing keys and the Lesley added later after recorded :)

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Wheels and buttons are NOT interchangeable.

You might actually be able to do it with a Kurzweil but most synths don't have such a powerful programming language built in.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Leslies don't have a pot. they have a lo/hi switch and an on/off switch.

If you use the mod wheel, how does the keyboard know at what point it's supposed to switch?

YOU CANNOT control spin speed with a pot.

Reaction score
You dont assign the sustain pedal to the mod wheel, rather you assign the sustain pedal to the same CC# that the mod wheel is assigned to. I'm not sure what CC# the mod wheel is assigned to but typically the mod wheel is assigned to CC#1. So I would start by assigning the sustain pedal to CC#1 and see if it works as a leslie control. If not go up to CC#2 and try that, etc. all the way until Cc#127, eventually you will hit the correct Cc# that controls the leslie speed. .Also, you may have to set the sustain pedal to latching. Why; when you push the mod wheel up it moves to data value 127 (fast) and when you move the mod wheel back it moves to data value to 0 (slow). If the sustain pedal is not latched then when you push it down the pedal moves to data value 127 and when you release the pedal it moves back to data value 0. Sounds like you want to push and release the sustain pedal and have the pedal move from 0 to 127, then when you push it down again and release it you want the data value to then move from 127 back to 0. This can only be accomplished if somewhere in the yamaha menu system you set the sustain pedal to be latching. This can be accomplished on my Kurzweil but not sure if that can be accomplished on your Yammie. On the Kurz it can be assigned at the patch level, so latched when using it as a leslie switch but not latched when used as a regular sustain.

If the Yammie doesnt allow for sustain pedal latching you can try a latching pedal. Hosa makes one:

It may or may not work, so be sure that you can return the pedal if it doesnt function as expected. The other option would be (for your current sustain pedal) to hold the pedal down for fast and release the pedal for slow. Inconvenient but an option.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You dont assign the sustain pedal to the mod wheel, rather you assign the sustain pedal to the same CC# that the mod wheel is assigned to. I'm not sure what CC# the mod wheel is assigned to but typically the mod wheel is assigned to CC#1. So I would start by assigning the sustain pedal to CC#1 and see if it works as a leslie control. If not go up to CC#2 and try that, etc. all the way until Cc#127, eventually you will hit the correct Cc# that controls the leslie speed. .Also, you may have to set the sustain pedal to latching. Why; when you push the mod wheel up it moves to data value 127 (fast) and when you move the mod wheel back it moves to data value to 0 (slow). If the sustain pedal is not latched then when you push it down the pedal moves to data value 127 and when you release the pedal it moves back to data value 0. Sounds like you want to push and release the sustain pedal and have the pedal move from 0 to 127, then when you push it down again and release it you want the data value to then move from 127 back to 0. This can only be accomplished if somewhere in the yamaha menu system you set the sustain pedal to be latching. This can be accomplished on my Kurzweil but not sure if that can be accomplished on your Yammie. On the Kurz it can be assigned at the patch level, so latched when using it as a leslie switch but not latched when used as a regular sustain.

If the Yammie doesnt allow for sustain pedal latching you can try a latching pedal. Hosa makes one:

It may or may not work, so be sure that you can return the pedal if it doesnt function as expected. The other option would be (for your current sustain pedal) to hold the pedal down for fast and release the pedal for slow. Inconvenient but an option.
Thanks, the mod wheel as it is, when central, the Leslie is off, when pushed forward the Leslie spins, the Hammond B3 is in Logic, spin speed fast and slow, braking, and all the other parameters like key clicks etc are all there, The recording session is done, this time by using the mod wheel which is already assigned to a CC for the Leslie to work. It would however be good to have a footswitch to control the Leslie, I’ll look into assigning the sustain pedal to a CC for future recordings, although I don’t know if that’s possible with a PSR 9000?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Even IF a keyboard were to allow you to assign a standard (not continuous or "half damper") foot switch (sustain pedal) to a modulation function, the switch will only supports two values, while the wheel supports 127, so you may not get the results you want. For example, a mod wheel could be implemented such that it send a Leslie Slow at one position, Fast at another, and brake at another. Or it could even be programmed so that the speed of the effect varies continuously with the position of the wheel. These kinds of things cannot be duplicated with a simple on-off footswitch. But if you really want to try this, a device like the MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller allows you to assign a MIDI CC to a footswitch (as alluded to above, the mod wheel function would be CC1). You might be better off using an expression pedal instead of a footswitch, because it has the same range of values as the mod wheel, and they make a device for that purpose as well.

Reaction score
Thanks for your input, thinking about it, a B3 has a Leslie on/off, fast and brake switch fitted I think on the left so it virtually the same thing as using the left mod wheel for the same function.

Reaction score
Thanks for your input, thinking about it, a B3 has a Leslie on/off, fast and brake switch fitted I think on the left so it virtually the same thing as using the left mod wheel for the same function.
Yes, the half-moon switch is kind of in the "mod wheel" position, even if the actual manipulation of it is a bit different. Though also, the desire to not have to use a hand to change the rotary led many of those players (including me) to add a footswitch. ;-)

Ask a Question