Audio over USB and USB Hub

Reaction score
Question about MIDI/Audio over USB : the Yamaha MX88 has a Audio/Midi USB interface so audio and usb travel over the same cable when connected to a computer or tablet.
Suppose you connect your iPad to a USB hub , using Apple's official USB3 camera connection kit, and then the MX88 and a second MIDI keyboard to the USB hub.
Will all the sounds (MX sounds obivously, but also instruments and sounds coming from the iPad by using a DAW or virtual instrument, and also the sounds played on the second midi controller) still travel through the USB audio interface of the MX88, out to the LINE OUTs to my monitors ?

I know, silly question, but when you're a MIDI novice...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I don't know much about the workings of Apple devices, but as long as the drivers are properly written and the software can handle the routing I don"t see anything else that would disable this ability.

A Windows PC is fully capable of what you are asking.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
No drivers would be necessary for an iPad. Been doing some reading and apparently, things should be alright as long as you have a fast and good quality hub that has its own power supply (which is obvious, really).
Still, there are people who have run into some strange behaviour using hubs, even with good and solid powered ones...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Yamaha has a tendency to use proprietary drivers instead of standard Class Compliant MIDI and ASIO drivers.

You'd best double check your assumptions before you commit.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
No drivers needed for iOS, that’s Mac OS or Windows territory.;;

I‘m having second thoughts about the Launchkey because I’m kind of leaning towards iÒS for my home studio. The apps are amazing and it’s equally amazung when you compare prices with theinMac or Windows counterparts.
I’m no professional, but I do want everything to work right.

I’ve still got plenty of time, though. The MX88 won’t be in stock for quite some time so I’ve got time to compare... (as a matter of fact, almost every model by Yamaha seems to bevtetmprarily out of stock ; might even consider stepping up to the MODX8 if the MX88 doesn’t arrive soon :p... although that’s out of stock, too, and it’s a complicated machine, so probably not my thing)).

Ask a Question