Ayyo, I'm new.

Reaction score
I'm 19 years old. I've never been able to play any instrument well. I tried guitar in high school and failed pretty hard at that (I don't think my heart was in it...I think I just wanted to get girls more easily :p). Anyways, despite my lack of musical talent, I've always loved listening to music. I've been thinking about learning to play the keyboard for about a year now- something about it is just very appealing to me. I like the versatility of it. Recently I attended a Dream Theater concert, and Jordan Rudess was totally epic; that's when I knew I wanted to learn soon- 30 years from now, I want to be 10% as good as he is. So, I just ordered some stuff off Amazon; a CTK-5000, a stand, some headphones, and a couple self instructing books. I really hope to do well with this instrument and therefore I plan to be semi-active on this forum...so...just wanted to say "hey!" :p hopefully you guys won't mind answering some silly questions I'll inevitably have.

Reaction score
Hi Boikymar, welcome to the forums! :)

Sounds like you're all set! I hope the self-tutoring goes well. Where in California are you? I went there earlier this year, it's a gorgeous place!

The Y_man

Reaction score
Hi There and welcome!

The headphones are great when you don't want to embarass yourself with not-so-good playing :D but hey, I'm a "3+1 (sometimes less) finger player" myself
these days (3 on the chords and 1 on melody)!!

Remember if all else fails - just go for every second white key with 3 fingers :p

The Y-man

Reaction score
I live near Sacramento. It's not too glorious over here, but it's only a 2 hour drive to San Francisco, which is a completely awesome getaway. And yes, that was the plan with the headphones :)...well, I suppose there's 3 different reasons I had in mind: not disturbing anyone with practicing during my freakishly odd sleep schedule, not embarrassing myself, and I'm also assuming the sound quality will be fairly bad coming straight out of the speakers :p

Ask a Question